Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User ojms
(newbie) Thu 17-Apr-14 11:02:36
Print Post

New ADSL router recommendations

[link to this post]

Hi,

I've been struggling to find a replacement ADSL router for my current Netgear DG834.

The trouble is I have a range of static IPs from my ISP (eclipse.net.uk) and the first option I bought is the TP-link TD-W8980 which doesn't support this.

I've been in touch with netgear who have informed me that the "AC1200-WiFi DSL Modem Router D6200" supports this but I was wondering if anyone has any other recommendations?

Thanks.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 17-Apr-14 11:14:31
Print Post

Re: New ADSL router recommendations

[re: ojms] [link to this post]

I'd have expected any of the Netgear devices with a built in ADSL modem to support a non-nat setup as they tend to all share a common web interface

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User bluenapalm
(newbie) Thu 17-Apr-14 12:11:58
Print Post

ADSL 2+?
VDSL?

Have a read over the ZyXEL SBG3300-N Series. I work for a company that uses them as a cheap business alternative to Juniper SRX110s. I recall being able to enter subnet information for the WAN i.e. 4.2.2.2/29

Should be backwards compatible with previous DSL.

Thanks

Blue

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User mattewan
(regular) Thu 17-Apr-14 14:10:40
Print Post

I use the DrayTek 2830 series.

I have had no issues with it. I never need to restart it and I have an 8 ip block routed through it.

The version of the 2830 I have has an adsl2 modem, but it also has a wan port if you want to plug a vdsl modem into it.

DrayTek also do vdsl routers too. Their support is good and you can email them and basically ask whats the cheapest model which supports routed subnets and they will tell you.

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 17-Apr-14 22:59:48
Print Post

[re: bluenapalm] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by bluenapalm:
ADSL 2+?
VDSL?
In reply to a post by ojms:
a replacement ADSL router

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User Arstar
(newbie) Wed 04-Jun-14 18:42:41
Print Post

Did you decide on a replacement?

I'm considering a Netgear DGN2200v4.
Standard User ojms
(newbie) Thu 05-Jun-14 12:06:26
Print Post

[re: Arstar] [link to this post]

I haven't yet I'm afraid! I've tried this:

"Netgear N600 Wireless Dual Band Gigabit ADSL2+ Modem Router" http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B004TR5HF8/ref=oh...

but this doesn't support fixed IPs

I then tried just a router/wifi box to link into the existing modem "TP-Link TL-WDR3600 N600 Wireless Dual Band Gigabit Cable Router" http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B008QBAXI4/ref=oh...

and again this doesn't support fixed IPs.

I've just tried a separate wifi access point "Linksys WAP300N Wireless N Access Point" http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00BMPB4QG/ref=oh...

but this only supports either 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz not both at the same time so I'm back to square one again.

I've looked at the ZyXEL SBG3300-N but this doesn't appear to support the new dual band wifi.

DrayTek Vigor 2830n-Plus does support the dual band but it is £209 so I'd rather find something a little cheaper.

To clarify I'm looking for an ADSL2 modem/router with dual band wifi that supports fixed IPs.
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Thu 05-Jun-14 13:28:29
Print Post

In reply to a post by ojms:
but this doesn't support fixed IPs.
In what way doesn't it support fixed IPs? All routers do.

______________________________________________________________________________________False_Authority_Syndrome__________________
Standard User ojms
(newbie) Thu 05-Jun-14 13:42:48
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Hi,

Apologies, what I mean is a subnet of public IP addresses, ie multiple public IP addresses.

When I say they don't work what I've found is that they will connect to the internet using ADSL however it won't allow the same IP address to be used on both the public WAN and also the internal LAN interface.

Thanks,

Oliver
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Thu 05-Jun-14 13:58:57
Print Post

Ah ok, I guess that's routed subnets then. At a pinch you could use multiple cheap routers or even a L3S.

______________________________________________________________________________________False_Authority_Syndrome__________________
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to