Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User RaveDave
(newbie) Tue 29-Apr-14 16:34:23
Print Post

Router Advice

[link to this post]

I was hoping that some of the knowledgeable posters on the forum could give me some advice on purchasing a new router.

I am looking at upgrading my zen pro package to their unlimited fibre 2 package, my current router needs to be replaced, Zen have four different types that they sell, the two that are within my price range Technicolor TG582n & the NetGear WNR2200 are getting very poor to average reviews, so i did some research and found alot of positive feedback for the TP-LINK TD-W8970 Dual-WAN ADSL 2/2+ Wireless-N Router (300Mbps)

http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Shop/ShopDetail.asp?...

Upon looking at the technical manual for it, it states that it is capable of downstream data rates up to 24Mbps and upstream data rates up to 1Mbps, i take it this means the maximum download speed it is capable of achieving is 24Mbps? Zen is estimating my line at being able to achieve a maximum of 59.9Mbps.

If the above router is maxed out at 24Mbps and is therefore not suitable, are there any routers that anyone can recommend to use, my requirements are that the router is reliable, able to work with Windows XP, have a download rate that matches my max line speed,is DLNA certified as i do a lot of media streaming via universal media server to my PS3. My budget would be around £60.

Hopefully someone can help

Many thanks

Dave
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 29-Apr-14 16:53:33
Print Post

Re: Router Advice

[re: RaveDave] [link to this post]

Never got the review finished but did the testing on a

TP Link TL-WDR4300 that has Ethernet WAN interface £53 on Amazon currently.

The throughput from WAN to LAN was 890 Mbps download and 727 Mbps upload. So even allowing for PPPoE should be man enough for FTTC.

The W8970 is probably saying 24 Mbps due to stating maximum speed of the ADSL2+ port, rather than the EWAN. You would only have 3 Ethernet LAN ports with that router as one is assigned to the WAN for FTTC. Another negative is that the 8970 is only single band, dual band 2.4 and 5GHz is the preference due to the amount of congestion you get from neighbours on the standard 2.4 band,

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
  Print Thread

Jump to