Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User ColBla
(newbie) Sat 03-May-14 08:38:45
Print Post

What sort of cable from router to wall socket ?

[link to this post]

Hi all
This might be a bit of a dim question, but it's something I haven't realised before, so grateful for guidance please. I have to replace the cable connecting my router (Netgear DGN2200) to the BT wall socket. Now:
1. At the router end, the connection has a small plug - Netgear tell me this is an RJ11 and that this is the industry standard. The existing cable has an RJ11 on both ends.
2. At the wall socket, I have a BT faceplate incorporating all the filtering stuff (I think it's called an NTE5 faceplate ?). This has what looks like an RJ45 socket, so apparently I seem to have been happily running my broadband for many years with an RJ11 stuffed into an RJ45 socket.
Questions:
1. Does this matter ? Should I really be looking for a cable with an RJ11 on one end and an RJ45 on the other (haven't found any so far !) ?
2. If the faceplate socket is designed to accept both RJ11 & RJ45, is this specific to this socket design or can I expect any RJ45 socket to accept an RJ45 plug without problem ?
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 03-May-14 08:49:07
Print Post

Re: What sort of cable from router to wall socket ?

[re: ColBla] [link to this post]

Does the faceplate only have one socket? If so it has no filtering. That doesn't necessarily matter, though it does in many cases.

Have you a landline phone or Sky box connected to any socket? If yes, does that have its own filter?

Even if you have no phones connected, are there any extension sockets anywhere - used or unused?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 58.7/14.6Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User ColBla
(newbie) Sat 03-May-14 09:11:47
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

The faceplate has two sockets, one for the phone, the other for the ADSL. All the filtering is done within the faceplate, I have no filters anywhere else in the house. There are landline phones connected to other sockets elsewhere.

Not sure I understand the relevance of the questions here ? I was asking about the compatibility of RJ11 plugs in RJ45 sockets ?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User obroad
(newbie) Sat 03-May-14 09:16:49
Print Post

A standard lead is RJ11 to RJ11. Broadband only uses the middle two contacts so it still works when you put an RJ11 plug into a RJ45 socket.
I think the sockets were deliberately intended to accept RJ45 plugs for when a more robust cable was required as I've seen a broadband extension kit and that did use a RJ45 plug..
Standard User ColBla
(newbie) Sat 03-May-14 10:01:26
Print Post

[re: obroad] [link to this post]

Hi obroad

Many thanks, that's helpful. Looks like I was worrying about nothing, but it's nice to have that confirmed.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 03-May-14 10:44:07
Print Post

An RJ11 to RJ11 lead is what you want.

The rj45 socket is compatible with RJ11 plugs because the connectors are part of the same family.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Sat 03-May-14 10:59:11
Print Post

One other question.

How long is the cable? If it is just 0.5m to 1m then almost any will do. If it starts to get longer than that and you could have 5 to 10m then it might be best to find one that uses twisted pairs rather than flat untwisted as it will offer improved noise rejection especially if it runs near other electrical equipment.

Even a twisted pair one will be quite cheap, just don't fall into the HiSpeed/HiSpec/GoldPlate hype and claims on some cables which come with ridiculous price tags.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User JGO
(newbie) Sat 03-May-14 14:09:27
Print Post

In reply to a post by ColBla:
2. At the wall socket, I have a BT faceplate incorporating all the filtering stuff (I think it's called an NTE5 faceplate ?). This has what looks like an RJ45 socket, so apparently I seem to have been happily running my broadband for many years with an RJ11 stuffed into an RJ45 socket.

Something odd here; the RJ45 socket on the faceplate is for the phone and it is normally wired so broadband is filtered out on it, you use the RJ11 for the modem, so your setup shouldn't work ?! However there is an alternative setup for the faceplate with no filtering, which would work but really needs an external filter.
It could be I'm misunderstanding you, but you might be loosing performance ! Try RJ11 to RJ11.
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Sat 03-May-14 14:31:44
Print Post

[re: JGO] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by JGO:
Something odd here; the RJ45 socket on the faceplate is for the phone

RUBBISH - it would be helpful if you made accurate and not incorrect statements.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 03-May-14 14:32:55
Print Post

[re: JGO] [link to this post]

NO

The RJ45 socket is the one on the left for both the models shown at http://www.thinkbroadband.com/images/iplate/bt-adsl-...

The phone socket takes a 431a connector

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to