Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User mentalistmike
(newbie) Tue 13-May-14 17:05:37
Print Post

which router for two fttc connections

[link to this post]

I would like to be able to combine two fttc connections to one router, which would allow the use of the combined download speed of the two fibre connections, whilst being able to separate two work groups so that each group wouldn't have access to the other groups PC's.. is this possible, if so which router please. Many thanks smile
Standard User ian007jen
(member) Tue 13-May-14 22:37:11
Print Post

Re: which router for two fttc connections

[re: mentalistmike] [link to this post]

Hi

I would have thought you would have to make your own router using pfsense or smoothwall, or look on smallnetbuilder.com for small business routers

Ian
Standard User gah789
(learned) Wed 14-May-14 00:13:12
Print Post

It is not clear whether you want to bond the 2 FTTC lines or load share across them. You need special equipment and/or an ISP who can offer the service if you want line bond - for example, look for "sharedband". Cisco, Draytek and others offer dual WAN routers that permit load sharing. I use a Cisco RV320 for this purpose - it incorporates a gigabit switch.

At the other end, it seems that you need to connect each workgroup to a separate router with a different subnet. You would connect the WAN port on each router to the RV320 switch ports. Any basic router with a gigabit WAN port and an adequate number of gigabit switch ports should meet your requirements.

Cisco and other suppliers offer much more sophisticated routers that could do all of this with one piece of kit but I doubt that you could justify the cost. Further, the fact that you are asking the question suggests that you might face a steep learning curve in configuring the equipment to do what you want. Keep it simple unless you know what you are doing.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User xela
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 31-May-14 16:33:35
Print Post

I would think you could do all this with one of the draytek routers but I'm not entirely sure how the load balancing works.. http://www.draytek.co.uk/products/business/vigor-2925
Standard User mattewan
(regular) Sat 31-May-14 17:48:04
Print Post

I also recommend draytek. I have a Draytek 2830 series and that has an ADSL modem built in, a WAN port for connecting another adsl or fttc modem, and usb for 3g/4g modems.

It has support for VLANS for network seperation and it supports wan load balancing.

If you look for a draytek with 2 wan ports then that will probably do what you want.

They are also rock solid. I never have to reboot mine and have had periods of over 1 year without a reboot at my business site.

Print Thread

Jump to