Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Anonymous3
(newbie) Sat 17-May-14 14:32:59
Print Post

Best annex m modem to use with a Broadcom CPW DSLAM

[link to this post]

Before moving to Xilo I bought a Vigor 120 v2 as I was expecting to be placed on an Infineon DSLAM, but according to my modem, I'm on a Broadcom DSLAM.

I've tried a couple of Broadcom modem/routers (Belkin F5D7633-4 on firmware 1.00.25 and a Technicolor TG582n unlocked using this method) that supposedly support annex m, but the both of them sync at a max of around 13.5mb down and 1.3mb up. This is quite low considering I synced at 18.5mb down/1.4mb up on BE (uncapped annex A).

The Vigor 120 v2 syncs at about 12.5mb down and gives a better upstream sync at 1.9mb, but I'm wondering if I can get this higher by matching chipsets, something which worked wonders when I was with BE and Sky.

I'd appreciate recommendations or advise, e.g. maybe there's some settings I could change via telnet on the two Broadcom modem/routers? If I need new hardware then the most I'd be willing to spend is around £40 (I don't mind buying second hand), I may be willing to spend more if the sync speed is proven to increase significantly in similar conditions to myself.

The new modem or modem/router would have to allow my RT-N16 to connect to it, the Vigor 120 v2 only allows me to do this as it can translate PPPoA to PPPoE, a feature that I believe is quite rare. I don't mind having a double NAT if the increase in sync is noticeable, in the past I've only been able to connect by putting my routers IP into the modem/routers DMZ.

Some info I got through telnet on the Vigor 120 v2:
Stats (Broadcom modem/routers report my downstream attenuation as 29/30)
Vendor ID
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sat 17-May-14 14:45:56
Print Post

Re: Best annex m modem to use with a Broadcom CPW DSLAM

[re: Anonymous3] [link to this post]

You may find a Huawei HG612 modem on Ebay, these are used for FTTC connections but after unlocking you can configure it as an ADSL modem.
See http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/dslrouter/t/4328435...

______________________________________________________________________________________False_Authority_Syndrome__________________

Edited by BatBoy (Sat 17-May-14 14:48:03)

Standard User Anonymous3
(newbie) Sat 17-May-14 14:58:09
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by BatBoy:
You may find a Huawei HG612 modem on Ebay, these are used for FTTC connections but after unlocking you can configure it as an ADSL modem.
See http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/dslrouter/t/4328435...

I actually have a HG612 (3B) from my time on BT Infinity. I was unable to get it to sync on my current annex m connection, the DSL light didn't even blink.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sat 17-May-14 15:01:52
Print Post

Is it unlocked? In the default BT configuration, it only supports VDSL. You have to modify the setup to get it to work on ADSL

______________________________________________________________________________________False_Authority_Syndrome__________________
Standard User Anonymous3
(newbie) Sat 17-May-14 15:05:15
Print Post

Is it unlocked? In the default BT configuration, it only supports VDSL. You have to modify the setup to get it to work on ADSL

Yes, it's unlocked. I tried playing about with the ATM and WAN settings but nothing seemed to get it working.
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sat 17-May-14 15:06:19
Print Post

Did you see the edit I made to point you to the configuration?

Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Sat 17-May-14 15:06:26
Print Post

The sync rates that you seeing ar around the normal figure 12-14mbps down and 1.7-9 up on fast path, with a attenuation of 29db, with a target margin of 6db, maybe dropping the margin to 3db would give a bit more speed, prob around 15-6mbps range ds, & no or little gain on the us
And yes when on non AnnexM your ds sync should increase , it think that telefonica uk were the only ones that offered 1.4mbsp us on there llu kit, 1.3mbps seems the normal value
Standard User les70
(newbie) Sat 17-May-14 15:55:57
Print Post

The HG612 will work well on annex m but annex m needs the latest unlocked firmware (with adsl_phy 038) and enabling via the telnet. You need "xdslcmd configure --mod m" to enable it. This needs setting every time you reboot the HG612.
Standard User Anonymous3
(newbie) Sat 17-May-14 15:59:46
Print Post

Did you see the edit I made to point you to the configuration?

Yes, I've just had another look at the HG612 and changed the settings to be the same as in the post you linked to. I also updated the firmware to one I found here and ran the following commands via telnet:

xdslcmd start --mod dlt2pmv
xdslcmd configure --snr 150 --mod m

Still refusing to sync, I don't think it even recognised those two commands.

Edit:

The telnet commands are now working, I didn't know I had to enter "sh" before the commands would work. The DSL light now flashes but it won't sync, I tried setting a target SNR of 3db, 6db and leaving it as default.

Edited by Anonymous3 (Sat 17-May-14 16:26:41)

Standard User les70
(newbie) Sat 17-May-14 16:50:19
Print Post

Did you update via the gui or the hold reset and power on method. Only the latter actually updates. A factory reset and reconfiguration with your settings is also a good idea. Look at the firmware version in the GUI it should have ..035.. in it if the update worked. A batter newer firmware is also available in this thread http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php?topic=13130.0 the version bcm96368MVWG_fs_kernel_HG612V100R001C01B030SP06_unlockedgui-nobtagent

found on the link given under experimental is recommednded

Edited by les70 (Sat 17-May-14 16:51:58)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to