Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User thomaswarne01
(regular) Mon 23-Jun-14 13:01:00
Print Post

Caching proxy on router

[link to this post]

Hi there, yesterday i implemeted ddwrt firmware on my netgear wrn2200 and it has changed it for the better but i want to know if it is possible to impliment caching on it,

i used the website here to download the firmware and if it is not possible on my router what routers is it possible on?

Thanks guys.

BT Business Unlimited ADSL2+
18Mb down 1.1Mb up
Standard User iand
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 23-Jun-14 18:03:55
Print Post

Re: Caching proxy on router

[re: thomaswarne01] [link to this post]

hi, would the router have sufficient memory in order to make caching worth while.?

Anyway you could read these 2 articles.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Squid_Transpare...

http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=80678

IanD
Standard User summat
(member) Mon 23-Jun-14 18:21:10
Print Post

I doubt you'll find any off the shelf dsl/cable router with the memory/cpu resources available to make caching viable, proxying sessions is one thing, but caching the images and html/css/js etc is a whole other deal. Unless your internet connection is particularly slow, you have a fair few users online at once, and you're all browsing the same sets of sites over and over, I doubt you'll really see any significant speedup. In fact, if the platform running the cache is underpowered for the task, you might actually see things slowing down.

If you really want to use something like Squid then you're going to need a more substantial machine to do it. I have used Atom motherboards in the past, loaded with a firewall distribution such as pfSense or the free edition of Smoothwall to implement a routing solution including Squid caching, and it does work well, but on a small home network it's pretty OTT.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User thomaswarne01
(member) Mon 23-Jun-14 18:50:43
Print Post

[re: summat] [link to this post]

Thanks for replying, i will look into this, yes we have two lines for broadband, second not mentioned in signature but i also have a talktalk adsl2+ line installed, its at 12Mbps and the router behind the router im out about performs load balancing not bonding just balancing

it would just be useful as we all watch allot of online stuff like netflix iplayer etc and all use ebay and general googling, and also work vpns

just an idea but as you say for your setup its a bit ott for a home network and so is mine with two lines but it proved its worth the other month when bt whent down, no connection loss as the load router just used talktalk and not both

thanks again guys.

BT Business Unlimited ADSL2+
18Mb down 1.1Mb up
Standard User iand
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 01-Jul-14 21:49:34
Print Post

A cache server only works if the same stuff is downloaded multiple times. Most of the services you mention are all single use services unless you are watching cornation street at different times on ghe same day.

Do agree about multiple lines. .

IanD
Standard User bdg2
(regular) Wed 09-Jul-14 01:40:05
Print Post

[re: iand] [link to this post]

It might be practical on a router with a USB that you could plug a hard drive or memory stick in to.

Print Thread

Jump to