Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User bdg2
(regular) Wed 09-Jul-14 01:46:05
Print Post

Why are all ADSL/2/2+ models such utter [censored]?

[link to this post]

Does there even exist one single ADSL modem that, when the noise level increases a bit, doesn't either:
a) just sit there with no data at all able to get through doing nothing at all about it.
or
b) re sync every five minutes
??
Why are they all such totally useless utter [censored] [censored]?

Edited by bdg2 (Wed 09-Jul-14 01:47:48)

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Wed 09-Jul-14 08:05:48
Print Post

Re: Why are all ADSL/2/2+ models such utter [censored]?

[re: bdg2] [link to this post]

Yeah, there some which do what you want. An important consideration is matching the chipset in the modem with the DSLAM, this is often different across different ISP's.

______________________________________________________________________________________False_Authority_Syndrome__________________
Standard User ian007jen
(member) Wed 09-Jul-14 08:17:47
Print Post

You need to investigate further....good modems....bt business hub (2 wire 2701hgv)...the current openreach fibre modem (hg612) unlocked and on adsl is rock solid (on my connection).

IAn

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 09-Jul-14 08:49:24
Print Post

If you are running a 3dB target noise margin the answer may be to raise target noise margin so modem has space to handle the noise spikes without being swamped with errors.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Wed 09-Jul-14 09:53:18
Print Post

[re: ian007jen] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ian007jen:
You need to investigate further....good modems....bt business hub (2 wire 2701hgv)...the current openreach fibre modem (hg612) unlocked and on adsl is rock solid (on my connection).

IAn

The 2700 was even better - I have seen them operating with a negative SNR and still achieve near full speeds without too many errors.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User bdg2
(regular) Wed 09-Jul-14 12:49:42
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

That would do, or if I could choose the maximum speed I want to connect at.
But for some reason this is something I can only hope to do if I have infinite patience and assertiveness and ability to understand people with ludicrously heavy accents who barely speak English.
Why doesn't nobody think to make it so this stuff can be controlled from the users end???

Standard User bdg2
(regular) Wed 09-Jul-14 12:54:37
Print Post

[re: ian007jen] [link to this post]

Yes my HG612 is usually fairly good, but after the rain yesterday it kept sticking with do data going through until I forced a resync.

I'm using unlocked firmware A2pv6C030b.d22g is that what you're using?

I found it seemed to be better than the newer firmware with, if I remember correctly 035m in it.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 09-Jul-14 13:24:26
Print Post

I'm a bit puzzled as to how long you have had this problem. You've been around a fair while, and I assume tried several modems. The connection behaviour you describe just isn't normal.

Are you sure the issue isn't the modems, but wiring or some serious noise issues arising either remotely or locally? From your opening post that is what I would be looking for.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 56.6/14.1Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User bdg2
(regular) Wed 09-Jul-14 13:45:13
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

People who connect at less than about 4Mbps download seem to be fine. Changes in the noise levels at those lower frequencies are presumably less. Everyone else has some problems, most commonly if you switch on and connect in the day you will lose connectivity as it changes to night time and the noise level rises. This isn't just me, many people with ADSL have this problem. I've been through the trying to get BT Openreach to fix thnigs once, a few years ago, when I KNEW correctly that the main problem was a fault at the exchange and frankly I never want to do it again. I just can't take the accusations, implications that I'm ignorant and know nothing, threats that I'll have to pay if the fault is in my equipment etc. My nerves simply can't take that again.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 09-Jul-14 14:45:44
Print Post

Fritzbox routers let you tweak settings to improve stability as do some other third party routers.

What routers have tried and what are the actual line stats

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to