Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User stubbadub
(newbie) Tue 29-Jul-14 11:04:18
Print Post

Another router recommandation

[link to this post]

Hi,

We moved house last year from an Infinty enabled cabinet to a non enabled cabinet a few roads down frown

We used the HH3 with openreach modem. Although the HH3 was pretty dire it had a feature to rename devices on the network so all the kids mobiles weren't showing up as android-**************.

I have since moving been using a DSL-N55U which has a great QoS but we have just swapped to EE from BT and not for some unknown reason the N55U drops connection every 10 mins or so. The EE router doesn't. We have a pretty slow connection (2-3Mbps).

I was wondering if there was a decent router with the ability to rename devices that are attached and has some good QoS features. Looking to spend up to £180.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 29-Jul-14 11:37:36
Print Post

Re: Another router recommandation

[re: stubbadub] [link to this post]

Before swapping routers, double check the firmware you are running. The review DSL-N55U was unstable until updated firmware on it.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User stubbadub
(newbie) Tue 29-Jul-14 13:04:56
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks for the suggestion. The firmware is up to date and i am really looking for a router with the function to rename connected devices.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Brammers
(member) Tue 29-Jul-14 15:11:54
Print Post

Asus N66U can do that.

I must admit I run the RMerlin firmware on mine though ... much better than Asus stock smile

HTH
J

Powered by Clara.net SOHO Unlimited FTTC 80/20 @ 80/20.

Speedtest
Standard User stubbadub
(newbie) Tue 29-Jul-14 15:25:22
Print Post

[re: Brammers] [link to this post]

Would that be the DSL-N66U?
Standard User stubbadub
(newbie) Tue 29-Jul-14 19:34:13
Print Post

I seem to have figured out the disconnections. When i use the DSL-N55U my line attenuation is around the 63db.

With the EE router its 52db. Is this normal for ASUS routers to have a higher attenuation?
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 29-Jul-14 20:27:32
Print Post

In reply to a post by stubbadub:
Is this normal for ASUS routers to have a higher attenuation?

Not many on this forum are using the Asus routers with ADSL, many are using with FTTC services.

Different routers report attenuation in different ways, and different chipsets in routers and DSLAMS interact in different ways. Its possible for the DSLAM you are connected to that the chip in your Asus DSL router is not coping with your specific line.

James - plusnet unlimited fibre - 2 Jun 14 - 470m - Sync 55/9.4 (BT was 51/9.8)
15 years broadband (1999 ntl:cable trial) - Asus RT-AC68U with HG612 - PN BQM - PN speed - old BT speed
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 29-Jul-14 21:18:29
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

I saw no attenuation oddities with the one I reviewed but always the possibility that different exchange hardware means others will not see different

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User stubbadub
(newbie) Wed 30-Jul-14 09:06:31
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by jchamier:
In reply to a post by stubbadub:
Is this normal for ASUS routers to have a higher attenuation?

Not many on this forum are using the Asus routers with ADSL, many are using with FTTC services.

Different routers report attenuation in different ways, and different chipsets in routers and DSLAMS interact in different ways. Its possible for the DSLAM you are connected to that the chip in your Asus DSL router is not coping with your specific line.

I was on 74mbps before i moved, want down to 2! Came as quite a shock!

I have ordered an Asus RT-AC68U, i plan on using that with the EE brightbox as just a modem. I just need to disable all the features on the brightbox and connect it to the WAN port on the ASUS right?
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 30-Jul-14 11:05:58
Print Post

You need to put the Brightbox into bridge mode, if that is possible.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 56.6/14.1Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to