Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User DrTeeth
(knowledge is power) Sat 02-Aug-14 15:54:14
Print Post

Asus routers crippled on 5GHz

[link to this post]

Asus routers are supplied crippled on the 5GHz band.

They are supplied to only use 4 of the 17 channels available for use in the UK. It is possible to unlock the legal channels, but due to pressure from the FCC in America, users are being locked out from changing the locale such that it will become more complicated and dangerous to fix. This FCC pressure is being applied to all router makes, but what this has to do with routers that will never see the USA is beyond me.

Asus does not supply European routers for sale localised to each country - only one European country (Austria) has only 4 channels on 5GHz available, the rest lose out considerably.

UK retailers are not aware of this situation either.

Stress - the condition brought about by having to resist the temptation to beat the living daylights out of someone who richly deserves it.
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 02-Aug-14 18:19:06
Print Post

Re: Asus routers crippled on 5GHz

[re: DrTeeth] [link to this post]

Interesting, my RT-AC68U has 14 channels to use on 5GHz. Perhaps because I'm running Merlin's firmware smile

You can use these commands to switch the whole thing to GB regulation mode:
wl country GB
nvram set pci/1/1/ccode=GB
nvram set pci/2/1/ccode=GB
nvram set wl_country_code=GB
nvram set wl0_country_code=GB
nvram set wl1_country_code=GB
nvram set regulation_domain=GB
nvram set regulation_domain_5G=GB
nvram set wl_reg_mode=off
nvram set wl0_reg_mode=off
nvram set wl1_reg_mode=off
nvram commit
service restart_wireless

but I ended up with less range, so reset back to EU defaults:
wl country EU
nvram set pci/1/1/ccode=EU
nvram set pci/2/1/ccode=EU
nvram set wl_country_code=EU
nvram set wl0_country_code=EU
nvram set wl1_country_code=EU
nvram set regulation_domain=EU
nvram set regulation_domain_5G=EU
nvram set wl_reg_mode=off
nvram set wl0_reg_mode=off
nvram set wl1_reg_mode=off
nvram commit
service restart_wireless

I use a Mac laptop which uses 802.11d region codes and if a nearby home is transmitting its a "USA" router, my Mac will hear that and limit itself to USA channels. So I like to have my own router (should be strongest for me) set correctly.

James - plusnet unlimited fibre - 2 Jun 14 - 470m - Sync 55/9.4 (BT was 51/9.8)
15 years broadband (1999 ntl:cable trial) - Asus RT-AC68U with HG612 - PN BQM - PN speed - old BT speed
Standard User DrTeeth
(knowledge is power) Sat 02-Aug-14 18:30:00
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

Of course, you are right. I have done the same with my N66U. But out of the box it is crippled and how many people would know. I have actually removed all restrictions, but still operate it legally. I do not want to risk my ham licence.

With the next firmware update, including Merlin's (the wireless driver is closed source), the changes that you made will no longer work and it will revert back to EU. The only way around that will be to modify the CFE.

Could you please check how many 5GHz channels you have on EU - it should only be 4.

Stress - the condition brought about by having to resist the temptation to beat the living daylights out of someone who richly deserves it.

Edited by DrTeeth (Sat 02-Aug-14 18:33:17)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 02-Aug-14 18:50:23
Print Post

In reply to a post by DrTeeth:
Could you please check how many 5GHz channels you have on EU - it should only be 4.

Telnet in and type
wl country

and it returns with
DE (EU/13) GERMANY

and in the web interface on the 5 GHz page I get:

Is that not right?

James - plusnet unlimited fibre - 2 Jun 14 - 470m - Sync 55/9.4 (BT was 51/9.8)
15 years broadband (1999 ntl:cable trial) - Asus RT-AC68U with HG612 - PN BQM - PN speed - old BT speed

Edited by jchamier (Sat 02-Aug-14 18:51:04)

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 02-Aug-14 19:27:39
Print Post

On a bog-standard RT-N66U the channels I can select are 36; 40; 44; 48.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 56.6/14.1Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User billford
(elder) Sat 02-Aug-14 19:36:45
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Same here.

@ DrTeeth- I have to ask: does it matter?

5GHz isn't noted for its range if there's much more than a sheet of plasterboard in the way, and if I run iStumbler on the MacBook and practically hang it out of any upstairs window I still can't pick up any other 5GHz networks.

So why would I want 17 channels to choose from?

Bill
A level playing field is level in both directions.

_______________________________________Planes and Boats and ... ______________BQMs: IPv4 IPv6
Standard User DrTeeth
(knowledge is power) Sat 02-Aug-14 20:16:07
Print Post

In reply to a post by jchamier:
In reply to a post by DrTeeth:

Telnet in and type
wl country

and it returns with
DE (EU/13) GERMANY

Is that not right?

Your router is set to the German locale, which has the same power and channels as the UK. N66U routers are set to 'EU' which does not exist and gives only the four channels that Austria has.

Just out of interest, did you change the locale yourself or was the router a grey import?

Edited by DrTeeth (Sat 02-Aug-14 20:29:27)

Standard User DrTeeth
(knowledge is power) Sat 02-Aug-14 20:16:55
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Exactly. 17 are legal in the UK. Plus the power output at that false EU setting is half the legal UK output.

Edited by DrTeeth (Sat 02-Aug-14 20:26:00)

Standard User DrTeeth
(knowledge is power) Sat 02-Aug-14 20:23:17
Print Post

[re: billford] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by billford:
Same here.

@ DrTeeth- I have to ask: does it matter?

5GHz isn't noted for its range if there's much more than a sheet of plasterboard in the way, and if I run iStumbler on the MacBook and practically hang it out of any upstairs window I still can't pick up any other 5GHz networks.

So why would I want 17 channels to choose from?

Why did you buy a router with 5GHz wink? I have no problems with range on 5GHz, it covers my largish semi very well indeed - in fact it is better at some places in my house than 2.4GHz.

As to why you would want 17 channels - think about other people who do! You may be happy with the situation, others are not judging by the heavy traffic on this topic on other networking forums. You might not mind buying deliberately crippled kit and not being told about it, I *do* wink. 5GHz is likely to become more popular in future - the words 'future' and 'proofing' spings to mind.

Another thing, the EU restriction stops running the router at the max power allowed in the UK too. It's maximum is HALF the legal limit - only 1 'S' point, but "every little bit helps", as they say.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 02-Aug-14 20:28:27
Print Post

Hmmm. Interesting re the power output.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 56.6/14.1Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to