Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User techguy
(experienced) Tue 26-Aug-14 18:52:22
Print Post

Any experience/opinions of Draytek Vigor 120 modem long line

[link to this post]

My Billion 7800N cooked itself during the hot weather which was a shame as it seemed rock solid on my line which is about 3 km though had to have 3 replacements for various defects in 12 months.

Replaced it with a D-Link DSL320b modem and Netgear JWNR2010 router to separate the functions in the hope of cutting down heat accumulation.

Trouble is I'm not getting random connection reset/cannot find server messages.

If I lower the MTU from 1492 on the router some pages like this just won't load.

Not had to mess with the Windows MTU before so fiddled about last night and set the modem to PPPoA with my Zen user ID and password on there, raised MTU to 1500 on the modem and configured the router as a fixed IP client/DHCP server and set MTU on that to 1500.

When I came home I had to reboot the modem as it had lost PPP and it looks like the sync rate has dropped.

Asked on the Zen forum and here about the chipset used in their DSLAMs but they are remaining tight lipped.

Reluctant to switch back to a modem/router but was wondering if the Vigor 120 modem is comparable in performance terms with the 7800N modem on long lines before I buy one?

Virgin (ADSL) => Namesco => Newnet => O2 => Plusnet => Zen => Newnet => Zen => Freeola => Vivaciti (using O2 Wholesale DSL) => Xilo (C&W Wholesale) => Xilo (O2 Wholesale) => Xilo (TT Wholesale due to O2 Wholesale closure) => Zen LLU
Router: Billion 7800N
Note: I don't lay turf for anyone. astro or otherwise, all views and opinions expressed are my own based on experience.
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Tue 26-Aug-14 20:28:22
Print Post

Re: Any experience/opinions of Draytek Vigor 120 modem long

[re: techguy] [link to this post]

How about a HG612 from Ebay?

______________________________________________________________________________________False_Authority_Syndrome__________________
Standard User techguy
(experienced) Tue 26-Aug-14 20:38:35
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Thought these were VDSL?

Virgin (ADSL) => Namesco => Newnet => O2 => Plusnet => Zen => Newnet => Zen => Freeola => Vivaciti (using O2 Wholesale DSL) => Xilo (C&W Wholesale) => Xilo (O2 Wholesale) => Xilo (TT Wholesale due to O2 Wholesale closure) => Zen LLU
Note: I don't lay turf for anyone. astro or otherwise, all views and opinions expressed are my own based on experience.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Tue 26-Aug-14 20:49:58
Print Post

[re: techguy] [link to this post]

As supplied by Openreach. However, if you unlock it you can set it up for ADSL

______________________________________________________________________________________False_Authority_Syndrome__________________
Standard User techguy
(experienced) Tue 26-Aug-14 21:16:41
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Will have a look

Print Thread

Jump to