Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User DGR1
(newbie) Thu 04-Sep-14 20:13:40
Print Post

ADSL stats query

[link to this post]

Hi forum folk,

I'm hoping someone can provide me with basic ADSL assistance. I'm with Plusnet using the supplied TG582n router, and have the updated 10.2.2.B firmware. Unfortunately I live about 3.5KM from my exchange and have 'broadband' of about 1Mb. My stats are below:

DSL Type:ITU-T G.992.1
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]:448 / 1,024
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/MB]:7.11 / 113.58
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]:12.4 / 16.0
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]:31.5 / 63.5
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]:11.0 / 7.9
System Vendor ID (Local/Remote):TMMB / ----
Chipset Vendor ID (Local/Remote):BDCM / TSTC
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote):0 / -
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote):0 / -
Loss of Power (Local/Remote):0 / -
Loss of Link (Remote):-
Error Seconds (Local/Remote):2 / -
FEC Errors (Up/Down):0 / 23,660
CRC Errors (Up/Down):0 / 2
HEC Errors (Up/Down):- / 1

I am happy with the TG582n for now as research suggests its Broadcom chipset is good for long/noisy lines like mine. I may try a Billion 7800N in the near future to alter target SNR, but don't want to get ahead of myself. My line is generally stable. I borrowed an Asus N66U and it synced at a much lower rate (though wireless LAN connectivity was great and the GUI was smashing).

I believe my stats tell me that I have a very noisy line (possibly higher than the reported 63.5dB downstream which I read is the max reported value). I currently have the modem plugged directly into the test socket of my master socket.

My questions...
- Do my stats tell me anything other than I'm unlucky with my line?
- Is there something I should try for basic problem identification?

Thanks in advance,
Dave
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 04-Sep-14 21:06:11
Print Post

Re: ADSL stats query

[re: DGR1] [link to this post]

A lot further than 3.5km, the attenuations suggest 6km or more.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Fri 05-Sep-14 01:32:23
Print Post

Nothing obvious in those stats ...

If you want to invest £5 or £10 look for a 2wire 2700HGV hub on ebay - make sure it is a 2700 and not a 2701, and if you are not on a BT service a minor tweak is needed. They too are excellent on most long lines and if the line is stable will sync with a 3dB SNR. They will then hold sync even as the SNR drops to zero and even when just negative.

I put one on a friends line, which was running at under 400kbps, sometime as low as 250kbps, and it moved the sync up to around 800 kbps.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User DGR1
(newbie) Fri 05-Sep-14 21:38:31
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

Hi both,

Thanks for the info. Samknows suggests I am only 3.5km away from my exchange, and that feels about right based on my knowledge.

Having a quick look on ebay and the web, it seems tricky to be sure that whether a 2wire 2700HGV is a 2700 or 2701 - most of them appear in reality to be the newer 2701. I will continue to investigate and hopefully find a 2700 and report back. I presume the plan would be to run it in bridge mode with a router once I have the best line speed possible.

Thanks again,
Dave
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 05-Sep-14 22:24:48
Print Post

In reply to a post by DGR1:
Samknows suggests I am only 3.5km away from my exchange
Sam only knows the straight line distance not the line length which is what matters.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Fri 05-Sep-14 23:39:28
Print Post

You definitely need teh 2700, the tweak to get it to run on a non-BT line works with 2700s but not sure about 2701.

There is actually a reasonable router in the 2700 - I used one for several years and now use a 2701 with an FTTC modem.

http://bt2700hgv.tripod.com/ir1002700HGV.htm has a wealth of information and details on "unlocking".

Have a look at: http://tinyurl.com/q5l2bfq it shows how te noise margin varies during a day and dropped as low as 0.5dB

and from te diagnostics: http://tinyurl.com/pgvwghy showing it syced at 3.0dB and at that specific moment in time SNR was 0.5dB. Somewhere I have a screen shot showing -0.7dB.

M H C

Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Sat 06-Sep-14 01:38:23
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

A point to make is how different router report noise margin.

For example a DG834gv3 router I had would sync with a 6db noise margin and often, in fact every night report a noise margin as low as 1db.

Using a speedtouch router on the same line. I would sync with a 6db noise margin, virtually the same sync but this router would never show a noise margin below 5db.

Different routers measuring things differently. I doubt it was a case of the 'noise' was just coincidentally better everytime I used the speedtouch.

So it may just be that this router does report things a little more 'wildly.' That said it definitely does max out a lines sync speed like you say.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 06-Sep-14 01:52:05
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

Whereas I had Speedtouch 585s that lost connection from a 6dB margin when it fell below 3dB, but Netgears with similar Broadcom chipsets sync'ed 500kbps higher and held sync easily, so I was able to tweak to 4dB and go even faster.

The Netgears also reported ~2.5dB lower attenuation.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 56.6/14.1Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Edited by RobertoS (Sat 06-Sep-14 01:53:10)

Standard User DGR1
(newbie) Sat 06-Sep-14 14:03:55
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Thanks again for all the info. The content at http://bt2700hgv.tripod.com/ir1002700HGV.htm suggests that many 2wires branded as 2700s are in fact later 2701 models, and all the ones on ebay at the moment appear to be 2701s.

I presume it is one of the early models I need?

Dave
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Sat 06-Sep-14 19:38:50
Print Post

The only reason I said 2700 was that there are hardware differences between the 2700 and 2701 and I cannot be sure that the modem front end is still the same. All my long line experience was with the 2700.

So, try to get a 2700 - it will NOT have a WAN port.

M H C

Print Thread

Jump to