Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User ObiWan84
(newbie) Sat 06-Sep-14 15:33:56
Print Post

Router for FTTC.

[link to this post]

I am looking to upgrade to FTTC and looking at compatible routers.

been looking at the ASUS RT-AC68U or the Netgear R7000 but have seen the DSL-AC68U (http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/products/19269-asus-dsl-ac68u/specifications/#content) that has a built in VDSL modem.

Does anyone have any experience with the routers and would it be better to get a router with integrated modem or use a separate modem
Standard User b4dger
(knowledge is power) Sat 06-Sep-14 18:45:33
Print Post

Re: Router for FTTC.

[re: ObiWan84] [link to this post]

£202 - not cheap!
You can't help thinking FTTC is allowing manufactures to take the...! frown

If I had around £200 to spend I would probably go for a FRITZ!box.

Perhaps it's just me but I'm used to decent ADSL modem/routers costing well below £100.

FWIW
I'm due to be upgraded to FTTC next week and will initially will be using the supplied Openreach modem with a cheap and cheerful TPLink TL-WR841N Router.

Hopefully prices will start to fall soon.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 06-Sep-14 19:08:49
Print Post

[re: b4dger] [link to this post]

The decent ones have a far chunk of memory and CPU power hence the extra price and has always been the way that leading edge electronics costs more.

For FTTC the older Asus RT-N66U still does well.

Happy running a two box set-up here, as helps protect the expensive router from lightning issues, and the Openreach modems are not bad at that part of the job and easily replaceable by Openreach if they supplied it, or via an Ebay shop.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User baby_frogmella
(experienced) Sat 06-Sep-14 22:06:56
Print Post

If you want Asus' best router, forget the AC68U, go for the new RT-AC87. I got this from USA a few weeks ago and its absolutely brilliant on my FTTC line...gives speedtests of 75/18 anywhere in our house on wifi AC/N. Best £160 i ever spent. Not available in UK yet, but plenty of sellers on ebay:
http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/products/17652-asus-...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Asus-RT-AC87R-AC2400-802-11A...

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
TalkTalk Business Fibre 79987/19999 kbps
Powered by Asus RT-AC87R
<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
Standard User j3214
(learned) Sun 07-Sep-14 09:21:26
Print Post

It is a matter of preference and convenience when it comes to a two-box setup. Power usage would be slightly higher (but only slightly) if you are using both a separate router and modem as opposed to an all-in-one.

If you are looking for a modem/router combo that supports VDSL, it may be worth looking at the Billion BiPAC 8800NL. It will set you back about £70, but it also supports ADSL/2/2+, has SNR tweaking (not hidden like on the 7800N!) and has the same Broadcom chipset as the HG612 (I think, but could be wrong!) - the modem which is supplied with FTTC broadband.

The only real drawback is the wireless as the antennas are internal, and not external, so it may hinder usage at a distance. The fact that the 8800NL only has one 1GbE, and the rest 100Mb, may also be a drawback if you are using multiple devices via Ethernet.

It may be worth checking the spec to ensure future compatibility with upcoming standards if that matters to you. As of current, widely used standards are supported.

If you happen to be signing up for BT Infinity, I believe you should be supplied with a Home Hub 5, which has an integrated modem that supports VDSL. Although, from what I have read, the HH5 suffers from stability issues (disconnections, line errors, loss of speed) which is probably due to the fact it is using a Lantiq chipset.

I am not sure about a separate router as there are a lot of different routers you could combine with an Openreach Modem. Is it all about the features you need, and how much you would be willing to spend.
Standard User boxst
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 11-Oct-14 22:53:50
Print Post

[re: baby_frogmella] [link to this post]

I have an Asus RT-87R and it is okay. Slightly more buggy that the RT68 that is replaced and it is not possible to tweak the wifi performance.

Of course, you may not need to as the WiFi performance is very good, but I just had the RT68 kicking out the highest wifi signal via changing the territory and upping the power.

I did not get along with the Netgear at all (I bought both of them in America, and sold on eBay the one I didn't want).
Standard User alexatkin
(learned) Sun 12-Oct-14 03:01:15
Print Post

[re: boxst] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by boxst:
Of course, you may not need to as the WiFi performance is very good, but I just had the RT68 kicking out the highest wifi signal via changing the territory and upping the power.

1. Upping the often decreases performance. Power is basically a balancing act between range and performance. The shorter the range, the better the performance (although that also generally needs a decrease in antenna gain too so it matches in both directions).

2. Setting the region to another country to crank up the power is illegal. You are both likely pumping out more radiation than is considered safe in this country and also causing interference for your neighbours.
Standard User baby_frogmella
(experienced) Sun 12-Oct-14 05:37:41
Print Post

[re: boxst] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by boxst:
I have an Asus RT-87R and it is okay. Slightly more buggy that the RT68 that is replaced and it is not possible to tweak the wifi performance.

I did not get along with the Netgear at all (I bought both of them in America, and sold on eBay the one I didn't want).

+1 for Asus RT-AC87R. Bought one from BestBuy.com a couple of months ago and the wifi on this beast is amazing. It was as buggy as hell on the initial firmware but its running fine on the latest fw.

°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°
TalkTalk Business Fibre 79987/19999 kbps