Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User dragon2611
(committed) Mon 15-Sep-14 14:56:33
Print Post

ADSL Routers with IPSEC?

[link to this post]

Does anyone know of any ADSL routers with built in IPSEC support.

I'm not interested in IPSEC pass-through I actually want to terminate the IPSEC tunnel directly on the router itself.

The Billion 7800X is one such device but I was wondering if there are any others about?
Standard User caffn8me
(knowledge is power) Mon 15-Sep-14 20:12:03
Print Post

Re: ADSL Routers with IPSEC?

[re: dragon2611] [link to this post]

The Netgear DG834 range certainly terminate IPSec tunnels but on the DG834G v.2 I tried it on, the performance was abysmal.

I would expect more recent Netgears should maintain the same sort of capability with a tad more speed.

Relatively cheap TP-Link routers also support IPSec tunnels although I haven't tried them in practice. If I do, which is a possibility, I shall let you know. The TP-Link TD-W8960N supports up to ten IPSec tunnels and costs less than £30. I've been impressed with the wireless performance of the previous version of this router.

Draytek routers certainly do and I run a number of Draytek VDSL2 routers with IPSec tunnels very successfully and with respectable speeds.

Sarah

--
If I can't drink my bowl of coffee three times daily, then in my torment, I will shrivel up like a piece of roast goat

Spiders on coffee - Badass spiders on drugs

Edited by caffn8me (Mon 15-Sep-14 20:18:07)

Standard User dragon2611
(committed) Mon 15-Sep-14 20:17:27
Print Post

[re: caffn8me] [link to this post]

I don't recall seeing that feature in a DG834 but then again it's been a long time since I've used one, was this on the stock firmware or one of the 3rd party firmwares (E.g DGteam.etc)

I'm not so sure about the newer netgears, Saw one of the Recent ones DGN2200 / N300 v2 i think it was and that seemed very basic, infact since going to that "Genie" based setup they seem to have gotten rid of the Bridge mode as well (which was present in the earlier non Genie V1)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User caffn8me
(knowledge is power) Tue 16-Sep-14 00:47:28
Print Post

It was an absolutely stock Netgear firmware that featured IPSec.

It was too slow to bother with though.

Sarah

--
If I can't drink my bowl of coffee three times daily, then in my torment, I will shrivel up like a piece of roast goat

Spiders on coffee - Badass spiders on drugs
Standard User sills
(regular) Tue 16-Sep-14 09:27:20
Print Post

The TP-Link TD-W8970 does. I think some of the other models do too, but know that one definitely does as I've used one.
Standard User dragon2611
(committed) Tue 16-Sep-14 11:07:59
Print Post

[re: sills] [link to this post]

Thanks for the suggestion,considerably cheaper than the Billion as well so definitely something I'll look into

Had a quick play with the interface simulator and it looks promising
  Print Thread

Jump to