Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User JHo1
(regular) Sun 05-Oct-14 16:18:13
Print Post

Slow home network

[link to this post]

I don't do much data transfer between devices on my home network but today I tried to copy a 4GB file from my desktop to my laptop. The transfer rate showed as being around 40Mbps, give or take. That's connected to my Devolo wireless n homeplug. That looks suspiciously like g speed so I tried to connect direct to the router and failed (but that's another story) whereupon the download restarted (damn! I should have paused it) at around 20Mbps.

The only other thing I have tried to use wireless for, other than internet, is to copy MP3 files from my desktop to my phone but that is so slow that I've given up and just plug a cable in. About 5Mbps iirc. I just put it down to small files but maybe I'm wrong.

My network is;
Billion 7800N connected to a pair of Devolo homeplugs. The Devolo cockpit software reports that they're talking to one another at 190Mbps.

All my devices are wireless n except for a printer, which is g and connects to the Billion.

I can find nothing in the Devolo set up that selects wireless mode.

While poking around to find some facts for this post I found that a Nexus 4 phone reports a connection at 54Mbps to router or Devolo, depending which I stand over. A Nexus 7 reported 72Mbps from the Devolo, then 54Mbps from the router, then 54Mbps when I came back to the Devolo. My laptop doesn't report a connection speed, one of the improvements introduced in Win 8 frown. Desktop is Win 7.

As my internet connection is 4Mbps, rising possibly on Wednesday to gain a "1" in front of the "4", this is irrelevant to web activity but it's bugging me.

I'm hoping I've missed something obvious. Any thoughts appreciated.

Thanks all,
John
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 05-Oct-14 16:25:05
Print Post

Re: Slow home network

[re: JHo1] [link to this post]

What model devolo are they? 40 Mbps may be the maximum possible due to wiring. The software usually reports a higher data rate.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User JHo1
(regular) Sun 05-Oct-14 17:15:18
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

dlan 200 (which fits nicely with the reported 190Mbps!).

But that doesn't explain how I can stand over the router (the Billion that is) and the connection is reported by my phone / tablet as being 54Mbps.

'ere, stop working on a weekend and relax! smile

John

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 05-Oct-14 22:09:44
Print Post

[re: JHo1] [link to this post]

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/hardware/reviews/70-de... sounds right performance for the 200 range

On WiFi suggests may be a mix of g and n devices which can causes variations

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User JHo1
(regular) Mon 06-Oct-14 19:07:11
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks Andrew. That graph suggests that I'm getting all that I'm going to out of the Devolos, in which case, that's ok. The connection speed to the Billion is a mystery though. I have checked and I was wrong. The printer is not "g" it's "n", so all of my devices are "n". I've also checked the router settings and it is set to "n only".

Hmm. Anyway, as I'm booked to be FTTC'd on Wednesday I have ordered a new router (Asus AC66U). I was planning on using the Billion and getting a replacement eventually, relegating the Billion to the role of spare, but I've been having a few issues with it lately and lost confidence in it.

Thanks,
John
  Print Thread

Jump to