Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User bantoi
(newbie) Tue 07-Oct-14 04:17:26
Print Post

Modem, that can be configured wirelessly?

[link to this post]

Hello,

the question might seem naive, so please be kind smile

I'm looking for a ADSL modem with a built in WiFi router, for a home setup, that I can configure via the WiFi link. Something where I won't need to use the serial or ethernet cable to connect to in order to get the access to the modem to set it up. Say connect to it only via the local network address, with username & password to tweak the settings.

Haven't had to do this sort of thing for a while, so this might be a default option now days with the latest hardware. But I'm a bit out of touch so I'm looking for some recommendations from you good and patient people.

Thank you for your time smile
Standard User b4dger
(knowledge is power) Tue 07-Oct-14 09:00:54
Print Post

Re: Modem, that can be configured wirelessly?

[re: bantoi] [link to this post]

You can tweak all sorts of settings via wifi on any router and even reboot - but if you hit a setting that knocks you off the wifi then you'll have to plug a cable in!

Standard User bantoi
(newbie) Tue 07-Oct-14 09:28:29
Print Post

[re: b4dger] [link to this post]

Hi, thanks for the reply.

I'm aware what role wired connection plays and how to configure a modem/router. What I'm after is information about any specific models that can be solely configured & maintained via the wireless connection.

Are you aware of such models?

Thank you in advance smile

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User vimto_girl
(committed) Tue 07-Oct-14 10:14:15
Print Post

Virtually all of them have wifi running by default, with a default username/password, so - combined with the answer you got earlier - just take your pick of model.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 07-Oct-14 10:26:04
Print Post

So long as you know the default WiFi encryption details (invariably on the label underneath) I do not know of any wireless router that CANNOT be configured over wireless.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User billford
(elder) Tue 07-Oct-14 10:27:44
Print Post

In reply to a post by bantoi:
What I'm after is information about any specific models that can be solely configured & maintained via the wireless connection.
It's still not entirely clear (to me anyway) exactly what you want- if by "solely" you mean "only" then I doubt if one exists- far too easy to accidentally kill the wireless and then it's a reset to defaults job.

If you mean that full configurability is available via either wired or wireless then, as has been said, pretty much all of them- you'd probably have to look quite hard to find one where it isn't.

That having been said- configuring anything to do with the wireless over a wireless link is generally not recommended!

Bill
A level playing field is level in both directions.

_______________________________________Planes and Boats and ... ______________BQMs: IPv4 IPv6

Edited by billford (Tue 07-Oct-14 10:31:37)

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 07-Oct-14 14:19:57
Print Post

As has been said by MrSaffron, I too am not aware of any wireless routers that cannot be configured by wireless. The problem being of course if you inadvertently alter the wifi login details so don't know them and have to use a factory reset.

If you want a router that cannot be configured via Ethernet on the LAN, which seems to be what you are asking for, I doubt if such a thing exists. I cannot imagine a scenario in which that facility would be needed.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 56.6/14.1Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Angels can fly because they can take themselves lightly." - G K Chesterton.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 07-Oct-14 16:15:13
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

You can install physical blocks like http://www.rjlockdown.com/jacklockpage.html making it difficult but not impossible to get to Ethernet ports.

e.g. have wireless configured with encryption and MAC filtering and do not want someone with a cable randomly plugging in.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 07-Oct-14 16:42:24
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Could use a load of superglue in the port. Wouldn't advise it but would probably be very effective.
Standard User bantoi
(newbie) Tue 07-Oct-14 20:36:46
Print Post

[re: vimto_girl] [link to this post]

Hello,

thank you to everybody who contributed to this thread.

I got the answer I was after, thank you for your time smile
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to