Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User gobby
(member) Wed 22-Oct-14 22:10:32
Print Post

ADSL Wireless n Router with hostname?

[link to this post]

Hi All,

I'm looking for the above so that I can assign a FQDN to it for RDNS purposes. My current unit is a TP-Link TD-W8980 which won't allow this on a PPPoA setup as far as i can see. At the moment I'm using a Linksys AG241 and a wireless AP but would prefer an all-in-one solution.

Any help appreciated

Ian
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 23-Oct-14 10:14:38
Print Post

Re: ADSL Wireless n Router with hostname?

[re: gobby] [link to this post]

To do this for the public IP side the RDNS needs to be done the people issuing the IP address (i.e. the ISP)

For LAN side any DDWRT based device should let you fiddle around with the hosts file for the LAN side
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/DNSMasq_Local_N...

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User gobby
(member) Thu 23-Oct-14 18:29:48
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Probably didn't explain myself very well!

I have a static IP from my ISP which I can assign via a panel to blah.blah.com. What I need is a piece of kit that allows me to set it as hostname blah and domain name blah.com on the WAN side so I don't get mail server issues mostly. My present TD-W8980 doesn't allow this whereas the AG241 does.

Hope that's clearer smile

Ian

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 23-Oct-14 18:39:16
Print Post

[re: gobby] [link to this post]

So why not using the AG241 if does what you need (and still not clear why you are doing WAN side and not the ISP who is control of the IP and/or the block.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
  Print Thread

Jump to