Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User djjlewis
(newbie) Wed 29-Oct-14 08:38:26
Print Post

DSL Router Stats Advice

[link to this post]

Hi,

I live a fair way from the exchange (not sure how far exactly but maybe 3-4km), and as I'm trying to squeeze as much speed as I can out of the line I purchased a Billion BiPAC 7800DXL based on the recommendations on the increasebroadbandspeed.co.uk site.

Interestingly, it reports that a speed of 9344 is attainable even though it always connects at 2424 (and I mean always!). I thought this meant there could be a cap on the line, but after contacting my ISP they tell me this is not the case... I have pasted the full stats below, so if someone could take a look and see if these numbers makes sense and if I should be getting a higher speed it would be greatly appreciated!

Mode: ADSL_G.dmt.bis
Traffic Type: ATM
Link Power State: L0

Downstream / Upstream

Line Coding (Trellis): On / On
SNR Margin (dB): 7.3 / 6.9
Attenuation (dB): 37.0 / 19.9
Output Power (dBm): 19.1 / 12.1
Attainable Rate (Kbps): 9348 / 1153
Rate (Kbps): 2424 / 1017
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 29-Oct-14 09:27:34
Print Post

Re: DSL Router Stats Advice

[re: djjlewis] [link to this post]

They make sense if your broadband provider is using banding and has capped the line sync speed. Which ISP?

Without any artificial limits higher speeds look feasible

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User djjlewis
(newbie) Wed 29-Oct-14 12:59:58
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Many thanks for the reply. I'm actually in France so the ISP is Orange (they are the main ISP over here).
I will try them again and possibly send these stats and see if someone else can give me another opinion. Failing that, I may even try switching to a different ISP (SFR and Bouygues are popular here), but I am a slightly concerned as I think Orange is a bit like BT / BT Broadband in the UK in that they are part of France Telecom and own most of the actual comms infrastructure.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Wed 29-Oct-14 13:05:47
Print Post

[re: djjlewis] [link to this post]

Orange capped my connection in France too, their DLM is quite aggressive. If you don't mind losing the TV etc, have you looked at Free? http://www.free.fr/adsl/index.html

____________________________________________________________________________All_Quiet_on_the_Western_Front__________________
  Print Thread

Jump to