Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User kreutz
(newbie) Fri 14-Nov-14 02:00:21
Print Post

Single device on network, needs no NAT

[link to this post]

Hello,

My current set-up is as follows:

FTTC internet -> openreach modem -> Draytek 2830n -> video conferencing device that hates NAT and routers in general (the only device on the network as it's a dedicated line)

The device needs to be public and needs to not have any routing in the way. The Draytek 2830 does not allow TrueDMZ or bridging on WAN2 port, which is the one that is used to connect it to the Openreach modem.

The problem with the video conferencing device is that there's nowhere to store connection username and password, so I can't connect it directly to modem, which would be perfect. My question is: what is the best way to put this device as a public device on the network so that it isn't subject to any routing? I want as little infrastructure as possible and as close to this device being connected directly to modem as possible.

Thanks

Edited by kreutz (Fri 14-Nov-14 02:01:56)

Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 14-Nov-14 08:42:38
Print Post

Re: Single device on network, needs no NAT

[re: kreutz] [link to this post]

According to page 134 of the user guide here you should be able to set it up as a DMZ host. Does that not work?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 14-Nov-14 09:56:08
Print Post

Block of static IP addresses from the provider and run router in NON-NAT mode

Or change to a bridging mode router, than can pass on the PPPoE delivered IP address via a DHCP request. Was a more common mode in ADSL2+ modem/routers than pure Ethernet routers.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User kreutz
(newbie) Fri 14-Nov-14 10:21:34
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

Nope. The device gets packet loss. Simple DMZ never worked on it, only 'true' DMZ which I can't set-up on WAN2 port
Standard User kreutz
(newbie) Fri 14-Nov-14 10:22:59
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Do you know of any such devices? Given that all I need to do is pass all of the traffic to the device, surely there must be something simple that I can buy? I also considered using a PC with 'untangle' software as a router, but that seems a bit unnecessary? Surely I don't need to run a PC just to pass all traffic to the device?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 14-Nov-14 11:02:29
Print Post

Off the top of my head NO.

http://www.akadia.com/services/zyxel_transparent_mod... suggests that Transparent mode that is on some Zyxel kit might work.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User ggremlin
(committed) Fri 14-Nov-14 11:26:16
Print Post

I think an unlocked bt hg612 would do what you require.
Standard User kreutz
(newbie) Fri 14-Nov-14 12:33:28
Print Post

[re: ggremlin] [link to this post]

So the unlocked firmware would allow me to enter my connection log-in and establish the connection to the ISP without a router?
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 14-Nov-14 13:04:23
Print Post

After unlocking the HG612 you can configure it as a combined modem/router, which is what it is, like we were all used to on ADSLx. The locked one is configured in bridge mode.

Whether that is suitable for your needs I don't know, but costs nothing to try.

Long thread about it. The OP was the first here to try it, and succeeded. A few since have followed him.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 56.4/14.5Mbps @ 600m. - IPv4BQM IPv6BQM

"Angels can fly because they can take themselves lightly." - G K Chesterton.
Standard User kreutz
(newbie) Fri 14-Nov-14 13:24:59
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Certainly sounds like something that could work. I am not an expert, but I remember in ADSL2+ days, you could use the bridge mode ('modem only') on routers with the modem doing the logging in, so I used to bridge the video conferencing box to BE Unlimited, where all the BE box was doing was logging in and functioning like a modem. I don't suppose the HG612 will have this mode? If I put the HG612 out of the bridge mode, then I'll probably have to deal with their NAT, port forwarding, etc., but that's one device less so can't see it being worse than the current set-up!

Edited by kreutz (Fri 14-Nov-14 13:25:36)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to