Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User NBK
(experienced) Wed 07-Jan-15 16:21:50
Print Post

Which Asus router? :) (any AC66U or AC68U users about? :))

[link to this post]

G'day.
I'm looking to replace my Billion 7800N (which is actually working fine) for an Asus router as the Billion is only single band/2.4Ghz.

I'm looking at either the RT-N66U (£105), RT-AC66U (£115) or RT-AC68U (£135) but I can't choose between the 3.

The N66U by all accounts is solid as a rock but £105 seems a tad high for a 2011 wireless N router.
The AC66U/68U have/have had problems and numerous firmware updates but I don't know their current level of sability.

In terms of stability and hassle free use the 7800N has been without fault. Months on without an issue or needing a reboot...I'd really like more of the same with a new router.

The last Asus router I had was an AAM6000EV (reviewed here wink) which I used for a number of years without an issue before I switched to Be years ago. So yeah Asus have been good to me in the past but these new routers are a bit different.

Any thoughts/info etc? Thanks. smile
Standard User bilbonvidia
(regular) Wed 07-Jan-15 17:20:05
Print Post

Re: Which Asus router? :) (any AC66U or AC68U users about? :

[re: NBK] [link to this post]

I have the N66U and it is the best router I have ever owned. However the ac68 is £130.00 on amazon so I would get that one.
Standard User aparat
(newbie) Wed 07-Jan-15 18:01:55
Print Post

Get the AC68U it has dual core processor so its better then ac66u which has just single core processor.

What else can I say, it has every option you can think of, its just top of the range Asus router. Its running cool as well, I cant even tell if its warm, stable WIFI, good range.

I have replaced my rt-n66u for ac68u, flashed merlin firmware and since then its on non stop without any problems at all.

Edited by aparat (Wed 07-Jan-15 18:18:20)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User JHo1
(regular) Wed 07-Jan-15 19:07:20
Print Post

I had a 7800N but it was not as trouble free as yours. Apparently early ones had a problem where, when powered up after being off for a while (e.g. holiday) wireless didn't work when switched back on. Billion support really is the best though. I had a few other odd problems too which vanished when I swapped in my trusty old Speedtouch.

So, having lost some confidence in my Billion I bought an ASUS AC66U ready for the switch to FTTC. On the day, I altered the settings in my Billion but it just wouldn't co-operate. I'm sure I got the settings right but I must admit I didn't persevere. I was intending to have the Billlion as a spare as being able to swap in a spare has helped with problem diagnosis on more than one occasion. This time I just unplugged it, plugged in the ASUS and the ASUS has been rock solid for 3 months now on stock firmware.

I bought the AC66U for the big aerials. I thought wireless coverage might be better. It isn't, The router lives upstairs by the pc, I mostly don't. 5GHz coverage is as close to non existent downstairs as makes no difference and I rely on a Devolo home plug feeding the tv and radiating wireless n around the living room.

So, the question is, will you be in the same room as the router? If so I'd go for the 66U. The 68U looks like overkill. If you are not in the same room then will you be able to pick up a 5GHz signal or do you need an access point as well as the router?

Oh, one other thing. Prices vary considerably over time so keep your eyes on Amazon (or your chosen vendor).

John
Standard User NBK
(experienced) Fri 09-Jan-15 15:40:40
Print Post

Well to the 3 that replied or anybody interested...
I got the RT-AC68U since for £20 more may as well get the dual core/1900 router but for other (physical) considerations too.

Firstly, unlike my 7800N the RT-AC66U has vents only on the bottom where the 7800N had vents on the top and all round too and the router would be sat on a carpet floor so not optical. Therefore I'd have had to have it stood up which isnt great since the ports would then be at the top so the AC68U makes more sense on that front. Plus the 68U has a button to turn off LEDs. I like this. (I've put inulation tape over the the openreach modem LEDs)

Anyways, set it up, disabled all the rubbish I don't want, enabled 5ghz only on my phone and went to the other end of the house where I often got poor speeds on the billion and ran a speedtest...

Yep if it maxes out my connection I'm happy with the performance.
I just hope the stability lives up to the claims on the box wink "FAST Networking Solutions | FAST - EASY - STABLE...hmm guess I'll see.

Thanks guys smile

Currently Plusnet "80/20" FTTC...Not overly impressed at the moment :|
Standard User NBK
(experienced) Fri 09-Jan-15 23:42:32
Print Post

Some other thoughts regarding this router...
There's some different behaviour regarding some file sending on non UPnP programmes that used to work through NAT ont he old router that doesn't work on this without port forwards but that's probably down to some strange configuration on the billion that I havent figure out yet.

What IS stupid...
Is the firewall.
On other routers I've used disabling the firewall does not un-stealth the ports or start replying to pings.
On the asus disabling the firewall firstly makes all your ports visible (albeit closed)...but secondly and most ridiculous it has port 80 OPEN and allows web access to the configuration page even if you have WAN web access turned off which is completely totally and utterly stupid.

So basically leave the firewall on. That's it. It doesnt seem to have any real effect without adding any rules, it just blocks ping and stealths your ports...and stops port 80 web access on WAN.

Standard User Michael_Chare
(experienced) Sat 10-Jan-15 00:43:35
Print Post

Have you seen this:
http://www.zdnet.com/article/asus-routers-vulnerable...

Michael Chare
Standard User NBK
(experienced) Sat 10-Jan-15 00:45:02
Print Post

[re: Michael_Chare] [link to this post]

Yeah, it's not such a big issue for those on secure private/home networks since you need to be on the LAN to take advantage of it

Standard User bilbonvidia
(regular) Mon 12-Jan-15 13:49:48
Print Post

[re: Michael_Chare] [link to this post]

The asuswrt merlin firmware has been patched already.
Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Mon 19-Jan-15 23:07:59
Print Post

in my view ac66 is (and also probably ac68) as long as you dont use the latest gimped firmware.

tomatousb firmware or the 346.xx fork of asuwrt merlin build will be fine.

At the prices you posted I would definitely avoid the n66u.

The ac68 has a better cpu than ac66 which may be valuable if you use VPN's or QOS.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to