Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User shuntfield
(newbie) Thu 15-Jan-15 14:04:47
Print Post

Any routers recommended with VDSL modem?

[link to this post]

Hi all
I have a few problems with my FTTC service which I also think are compounded by my Netgear router.

The sky on demand service is very slow wirelessly, when I lash a cable temporary then things get better, however thats not practical.

Things are slow on my Samsung Mobile and tablet too.
I am looking for a recommendation of a router to replace the current D6300 I have, and the openreach modem, but with the option of using the openreach modem should things be unstable with the inbuilt modem.

I have a Nest thermostat sky boxes connected, one via a wireless bridge and one with in built wifi so one that works well with these would be great.

Budget is up to £200.

Thanks

Shunts...
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 15-Jan-15 14:30:23
Print Post

Re: Any routers recommended with VDSL modem?

[re: shuntfield] [link to this post]

The Netgear D6300 is already an 802.11ac device so bettering that might be an expensive trial and error process.

Asus has a good reputation for wireless so the Asus RT-AC68U Wireless Broadband Router at £160 is one to consider.

There is the AC87U model that is in theory even faster.

A big issue with wireless is that while external antenna may allow you to move them around and get optimum coverage, if the building is attenuating the signal then almost no matter what router you will have problems and the solution is to add a wireless access point to improve wireless coverage.

Also any device that needs high sustainable speeds should be using 5GHz or Ethernet, since congestion on 2.4GHz is such now that it can be unreliable unless you can get neighbours to turn off their devices too.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User shuntfield
(newbie) Thu 15-Jan-15 15:01:55
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks Andrew.

Whilst it is AC if my phone is directly in front of it on 5GHz and the phone is also AC the throughput is a disaster no where near what I should be.

Shunts...

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Dash
(regular) Thu 15-Jan-15 15:02:45
Print Post

I switched to using pfsense on a virtual machine on my media server. Works like a charm.
Standard User shuntfield
(newbie) Mon 26-Jan-15 00:47:35
Print Post

Went with the DSL-AC68U in the end.

Resolved a multitude of problems. The D6300 is definately shot.

Shunts...
Standard User shuntfield
(newbie) Mon 26-Jan-15 00:49:20
Print Post

Went with the DSL-AC68U in the end.

Proved that the D6300 is shot to bits in the end.

Thanks

Shunts...
Standard User burble
(newbie) Mon 26-Jan-15 09:07:36
Print Post

The first thing to have done was open up the unit and check the aerial connection. For some reason Netgear often mess this up in production.
  Print Thread

Jump to