Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User brightd
(experienced) Sun 22-Feb-15 13:34:33
Print Post

Bad upload speeds from Draytek 2830 on FTTP

[link to this post]

I have just had FTTP connected at home and am on the BT Infinity 2 80/20 connection. If I run a TB speed test using Chrome on my iMac wired to my Draytek 2830n I get 70+Mbps down as expected but only 8.2Mbps on the upload which is half of what I would expect. If I switch to the HH5 provided I get the same speed down but the upstream jumps to 20Mbps down which is what I would have expected through the Draytek. So 2 questions.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to why the upload on the Draytek is so bad?

Are there any reasons not to switch to the HH5?

David

Infinity 2 over FTTP from BTBroadband and
plusnet Unlimited customer
DrayTek Vigor 2830n

Edited by brightd (Sun 22-Feb-15 15:02:21)

Standard User Pipexer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 22-Feb-15 14:39:07
Print Post

Re: Bad upload speeds from Draytek 2850 on FTTP

[re: brightd] [link to this post]

can you try speedtest.net and see what the upload result from that is first?

I would make sure QoS and rate limiting, DoS protection, etc, is switched off on the Draytek.

Also, are you running the latest firmware?

Also, consider a reset to factory defaults on the Draytek, you'd be amazed what this can sometimes fix.

Unfortunately the Draytek 2850 is a little bit of an "odd one", they didn't produce them for very long.. I would definately contact Draytek UK support though if the above suggestions don't work, it is still considered a supported product.

AAISP Home::1
Standard User brightd
(experienced) Sun 22-Feb-15 15:28:24
Print Post

[re: Pipexer] [link to this post]

Sorry. Typo in the original title although the post was correct. The Draytek is a 2830n and not a 2850. I do not suppose that changes your reply.

I have the latest firmware on the Draytek. QoS is off. DoS is on. Not sure why that would halve the upload.

David

DrayTek Vigor 2830n

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User sfo32
(learned) Sun 22-Feb-15 15:50:57
Print Post

I've never known DoS not to cause problems on any of the Draytek routers we've used frown so I always disable it. In fact disabling QoS and DoS are basically the two things that usually help when unexpected things happen, along with a full reset to factory settings using the reset button, followed by updating the firmware using the RST firmware version, even if you don't actually change the firmware version.

Have you posted in the Draytek forum? You are more likely to find if this is a generic problem if you post there.

I'm seeing upload being 50% of what I expect to get and indeed what I used to get on mine, but in my case it is a 2860 and currently running really bad firmware. (3.7.8) so there's no direct comparison. In fact in my case it could actually be the line as I'm on FTTC not FTTP.
Standard User Tacitus
(experienced) Sun 22-Feb-15 19:11:35
Print Post

[re: sfo32] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by sfo32:
I'm seeing upload being 50% of what I expect to get and indeed what I used to get on mine, but in my case it is a 2860 and currently running really bad firmware. (3.7.8) .......
Oh dear. I've just updated my 2760 to 3.7.8 So far all seems well, certainly the up and download are what I would expect and got, on the previous 3.7.5.4 firmware
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 22-Feb-15 19:35:48
Print Post

Links to the graphs ie result link from the thinkbroadband tests would be useful

The upload bursting on speedtest.net can give a good number even when actual uploads are dodgy.

If using our flash, then trying http://labs.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest is another way of running the tests

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Pipexer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 23-Feb-15 17:37:38
Print Post

In reply to a post by brightd:
DoS is on. Not sure why that would halve the upload.

Are you going to try my suggestion or not, though?

Standard User brightd
(experienced) Tue 24-Feb-15 09:32:09
Print Post

I did ask 2 questions in my first post. Thanks for your responses.

As no one gave me a good reason not to try the HH5 I have done that first. It gives me dual band WiFi and no upstream speed issue. So far the HH% has been rock solid. If I do have a need to switch back to the 2830 then I will post back my findings, but that is looking unlikely.

David

DrayTek Vigor 2830n
Standard User Tacitus
(experienced) Tue 24-Feb-15 16:42:34
Print Post

[re: sfo32] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by sfo32:
....currently running really bad firmware. (3.7.8)......
I too am on FTTC, and wonder what problems you were finding with the 3.7.8 series firmware? I've installed it on my 2760 and not noticed anything serious. AFAIK it's the same firmware for the 28XX and 27XX routers.
Standard User Pipexer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 24-Feb-15 18:57:13
Print Post

To answer your second question: Because the HH is a bag of [censored]. Try and get the Draytek to work, but if you aren't prepared to try suggestions, then you may as well just use the HH5.

For what it is worth, if you ever contact Draytek support, the very first thing they'll probably tell you to do is turn off DoS protection.

But hey, what do I know...

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to