Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Alucidnation
(newbie) Sun 08-Mar-15 07:35:08
Print Post

IP Address Help Please!

[link to this post]

Morning all..

Newbie here!

Just doing (another) sort of my home network which is set up thus...

BTOR ----> Asus RTN66U ---> 16Port switch that deals with various connections in the lounge, but also feeds via ethernet (via another small switch with a couple of things connected) a RT68 in the other end of the house.

How, the RTAC68 sole purpose is to provide wifi and is set as an AP, however, when looking at the config page it shows most of my ethernet devices connected to it, as well as them being connected to the RT66 at the front, albeit with the same IP's on both RT's.

Everything seems to be working ok, but i though that all the wired devices would only show up on the RT66 but some are also showing on the 68.

Is this likely to cause a problem?

With the 68 set as an AP, there does not seem to be a tab to disable DHCP.

Any pointers appreciated!

smile
Standard User ian007jen
(committed) Sun 08-Mar-15 08:58:20
Print Post

Re: IP Address Help Please!

[re: Alucidnation] [link to this post]

Everything looks fine to me.

The rt68 can "see" other networked devices by using ARP https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Address_Resolution_Pro...

If I remember correctly the asus firmware automatically disables DHCP when the router is set to AP mode; to confirm disable DHCP on the RT66 then see if any device receives a DHCP address when connected to the network.

Ian
Standard User Alucidnation
(newbie) Sun 08-Mar-15 12:35:18
Print Post

Re: IP Address Help Please!

[re: ian007jen] [link to this post]

Hi Ian,

Thats kind of what i was thinking, in that it is mirroring the 66 Ip address list.

Many thanks.

smile

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread

Jump to