Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User MikeL
(member) Fri 13-Mar-15 12:27:50
Print Post

QoS

[link to this post]

I got a new router to use QoS, I have set it up but speeds aren't completely what I hoped for. When no other computers are on I am losing about 50-60KB/S on a 5.6mbps connection, I'm guessing this is all overhead from using QoS? I'm downloading about 515-520KB/s (though it regularly dips lower) instead of around 580KB/S when I'm the only computer downloading on the network. I have a TD-W8970 Router, its not that expensive, is it the CPU in the router thats slowing the connection or is it just the norm for QoS to lose some bandwidth? I have my PC set to lowest priority (8) with a min of 1mbps down and 6mbps up (I never get a 6mbps connection so its just so I can use all bandwidth when no one else is using the connection) as my downloads slow down the rest of the network (everyone else just browses websites or uses YouTube) Just wondering if a better router would give me more speed or not?

Thanks
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 13-Mar-15 13:38:32
Print Post

Re: QoS

[re: MikeL] [link to this post]

There may be a very small amount reserved for other computers all the time, i.e. so even if you are running flat out, their initial DNS lookups will happen and by the time router has spotted higher priority traffic it can ramp switch its priorities around, i.e. this stops stalling for a higher priority task that appears i.e. can get started immediately and will ramp up to allocated speeds quickly.

So suspect just a factor of running QoS. Your speeds are so slow unlikely to be router issues.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Fri 13-Mar-15 14:00:57
Print Post

It would be really useful if you kept the same units throughout the post. And even not changing from / to p and back.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User MikeL
(member) Sat 14-Mar-15 14:00:55
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

I contacted the manufacturer and they say this : Becuse of the CPU of the router and the quality of the network adapter in your PC, it is normal that there is a 50-60KB/S losing.. So I will ask him if that means if I bought a router with a better CPU I would get a faster speed. I'm using a wired gigabit connection that has no problem maxing out around 100MB/s so it shouldn't be that which is losing the 50KB/S.

I found a way to soft reset the QoS, there's an option for type of line, ADSL or other, when I choose other it downloads at 580KB/s like when QoS is off, yet its still turned on (just not functioning, when using another PC it would only push my downloads down to 400KB/s - the same as when QoS is off, not 100KB/s like if it was working properly). To fully turn off QoS needs a router reboot and its annoying and can connect at a slower speed especially if at night.
Standard User Pipexer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 14-Mar-15 14:21:06
Print Post

Enabling QoS on many routers has the effect of permanently reserving a few percent of bandwidth for other devices (or for nothing). It is a bit of cheat in some ways.

AAISP Home::1
  Print Thread

Jump to