Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User gizmo1990
(learned) Tue 17-Mar-15 12:43:58
Print Post

Please suggest me a new ADSL wireless modem router

[link to this post]

I desperately need a new adsl (don't have a adsl2 line but I believe they will work too?) wireless modem router to replace my aging DG834G which seems to be the root of my connection problems recently.

I brought an emergency stop gap Netgear n300 recently, which is absolutely appalling! It's getting taken back as soon as I can decide on a better replacement.

It seems a complete minefield choosing a new modem these days. Could someone recommend me a few sub £80 models, which would prioritise reliablity and range?

Any advice much appreciated.
Standard User b4dger
(knowledge is power) Wed 18-Mar-15 12:13:51
Print Post

Re: Please suggest me a new ADSL wireless modem router

[re: gizmo1990] [link to this post]

The "N300" covers a range of devices. I wonder if your connection performed better with the DG834 due to it's Broadcom chipset (does depend on which version you had).

The Broadcom routers transformed my connection when I was on ADSL - see the link in my signature.

I can recommend the Billion 8800NL - around £65 comes with a Broadcom chipset and is also future proof as it can be used for VDSL(FTTC) as well as ADSL.

I've just installed one for my dad on his standard ADSL line - all went well smile

Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 19-Mar-15 11:50:48
Print Post

Re: Please suggest me a new ADSL wireless modem router

[re: gizmo1990] [link to this post]

I like TP link products, they seem to be a good price and offer a lot. I have never had one of their ADSL routers, mine is cable, but I know someone who do and it seems to be stable and does as well as other routers considering the distance they are from the exchange.

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 8 pro 64bit, no dreaded metro and Linux , laptop by Linux

Plusnet FTTC

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread

Jump to