Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User mattrink
(newbie) Wed 01-Apr-15 10:56:22
Print Post

Draytek Vigor 2860 and access scheduling

[link to this post]

I am in looking to replace our BT hub with a Vigor 2860 for our business mainly because I want some control over the router itself but because I also want to limit an internal network connection's access to a schedule.

Ideally I would like to limit a single LAN port to only be able to access the internet from 10am to 10pm, leaving the other LAN ports able to access the internet. I think the 2860 can do this using a combination of VLAN, firewall filter and scheduling but I just wanted to check with other 2860 users whether this is possible.

If not what do you guys recommend?
Standard User caffn8me
(knowledge is power) Tue 07-Apr-15 00:57:01
Print Post

Re: Draytek Vigor 2860 and access scheduling

[re: mattrink] [link to this post]

I believe it's possible as you describe and I should be able to confirm within a week to ten days. I'm waiting for a new FTTC installation and haven't been given the date by the customer yet.

Depending on which firmware you use, VLANs can introduce odd behaviours and some features may stop working completely. I have 2860s in use at three sites and the older factory firmware wasn't good when VLANs were used.

If you run firmware 3.7.4.3 (build date 15 Sep 2014) with VLANS, DHCP only works on the first VLAN. I haven't yet upgraded to newer published firmware or the beta firmware I use at other sites to overcome ARP problems.

I will be setting up scheduled access on the new connection so shall let you know how it goes.

Sarah

--
If I can't drink my bowl of coffee three times daily, then in my torment, I will shrivel up like a piece of roast goat

Spiders on coffee - Badass spiders on drugs
Standard User PhilipD
(experienced) Tue 07-Apr-15 07:21:47
Print Post

Re: Draytek Vigor 2860 and access scheduling

[re: mattrink] [link to this post]

Hi

Not quite a business grade router however the ZyXEL VMG8924 has options to schedule the individual LAN ports to be turned off, this would however stop all traffic on that LAN port and not just the Internet, but would avoid any complex setup to get working.

Regards

Phil

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread

Jump to