Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User BarkingMad
(newbie) Thu 16-Apr-15 09:52:30
Print Post

BT Home Hub 3 Ports

[link to this post]

I've got a BT HH3. According to BT, http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/32322... ports 1 to 3 are equal and 4 is a Gig-E Port.

I've recently had a Salus IT500 internet thermostat fitted to control the HW and CH. It has been locking up. The Iphone App says the IT500 is offline, but the IT500 gateway and the IT500 control unit both show that they are on line. The only way to restore the connection is to reboot (take out battery) the IT500 contol unit.

I'd connected the IT500 gateway not to the back of the HH3 but via a Devolo 500 Home Plug.

Salus are saying that they have never tried it using Home Plug and their website http://www.salus-tech.com/faq/it500-faqs/ gives advice such as;

Q. I have a new BT Hub 5 router and the gateway has a solid red light.
A. BT Hub 5 uses ports 3 and 4

I have spoken to their Tech people and they say that on a HH3 Port 3 should be used. I'm trying this at the moment - and the lock out usually takes 48 hours to occur. I cannot see any logic / reason for using Port3. None of my other devices specify which port should be used to connect to the router and apart from Port 4 (Gig-E) all the ports seem to be equal. My view is the addition of a Home Plug shouldn't be a problem either.

Any thoughts from anyone?

Thanks

BarkingMad
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 16-Apr-15 23:03:04
Print Post

Re: BT Home Hub 3 Ports

[re: BarkingMad] [link to this post]

Tried linking all the heating stuff on their own indepedent ethernet switch.

Homeplugs do lock up sometimes like once every quarter but resetting them is enough.

Points at the heating kit if disconnecting and reconnecting the Ethernet fails when it had worked for a while

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Thu 16-Apr-15 23:13:19
Print Post

and the ports advice they give is nonsense.

____________________________________________________________________________Information_without_perspective_is_a_higher_form_of_ignorance________

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User BarkingMad
(newbie) Fri 17-Apr-15 09:28:44
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks Mr Saffron and BatBoy,

I agree that there doesn't seem any logical explanation to use Port 3. I can appreciate that using HomePlugs may cause problems.

It has currently been connected to Port3 and so far everything is OK. I will monitor over the next week or so. If stable, I'll move back to the HomePlug. I've got a wired and wireless booth with ethernet ports. The wired is feeding various AV devices and this is where it was connected before.

I'll try rebooting the HomePlug when the probelm occurs next time - but the other devices seemed fine.

Cheers

BarkingMad
Standard User Bryer
(experienced) Fri 17-Apr-15 13:51:45
Print Post

I found I was having issues with Homeplugs locking up until I turned off the energy saving modes that are built in. It would appear that if they go into power saving mode and cannot wake up correctly.
Standard User BarkingMad
(newbie) Thu 30-Apr-15 17:26:00
Print Post

Update:

I connected the Salus Gatweay to HH3 Port 3 and everything was fine for a week. I used Port3 to connect to my Devolo 500 and connected the Gateway to another Devolo 500 (as per original config). It has been a week or so, and there hasn't been any problems (touch wood).

I asked Salus why Port 3 was so special but no answer. The Devolo was previously connected to Port 2.

Mystery!
  Print Thread

Jump to