Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User batfastad
(learned) Thu 30-Apr-15 23:41:33
Print Post

BeBox Speedtouch TG585v7 CLI

[link to this post]

Hi everyone

Let's be honest, not many people have a good word to say about the Thomson Speedtouch modems. As a Be customer of many many years I have sworn at the things many many times (re-doing port forwardings after a firmware update, bridge mode). But it's quite a capable little unit and I still have the TG585v7 chugging away in bridge mode quite happily here with a TalkTalk wholesale ADSL connection from Xilo.net. If it ain't broke etc. Plus the SNMP and remote syslog capabilities is always cool to play with for about 5 minutes... until the telnet CLI makes me want to do violence.

Anyway, the thing that always irked me about the bridge mode templates was needing to configure a static IP address to be able to access the web/telnet interfaces of the Speedtouch once it was in bridge mode.

I have the Speedtouch in bridge mode, with ethernet port 2 plugged in to the WAN socket of a Netgear WNDR3700v2 running OpenWRT.

What I'd quite like to do is spin up a DHCP client on the Speedtouch, so that when plugging all/any of the remaining ethernet ports into my network it picks up an IP address automatically by DHCP. So I don't have to wait until the laptop is spare, configure a static IP in the matching range, check any stats, disconnect. I'd like to just be able to telnet/SNMP etc from my LAN.

I don't suppose anyone can remember much about the CLI or has any config snippets lying around still?
Ideally remembering how to do exactly this wink ?
forums.modem-help.co.uk was a great resource but appears to be offline. Am currently trawling my way through it on archive.org.
I've been looking through the (extensive) CLI manual as well but I've not managed to get what I'm looking for yet.

I realise I should probably get a life, bin this thing and buy something modern and proper etc. But just on the off chance, anyone ever remember doing anything like this?

Cheers, B
Standard User batfastad
(learned) Fri 01-May-15 01:00:55
Print Post

Re: BeBox Speedtouch TG585v7 CLI

[re: batfastad] [link to this post]

Aha! Got it, good old Speedtouch.

Basically this... http://npr.me.uk/basicdmz.html with a bit of extra mucking about to add some DHCP options to the request.

Edited by batfastad (Fri 01-May-15 01:01:10)

Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Fri 01-May-15 01:15:28
Print Post

[re: batfastad] [link to this post]

Everyone to their own and that , but the only thing i would be doing with a TG565v7 would be sending it to landfill, what a end user unfriendly device it was , that lacked a proper gui hence your need for cli commands, most of which are available in the gui of most good modem/ routers

Edited by tommy45 (Fri 01-May-15 01:18:01)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User dragon2611
(committed) Sun 07-Jun-15 12:40:14
Print Post

[re: tommy45] [link to this post]

It's been a while since I had to work in the CLI on one of those

It supports Tab completion if I recall correctly

Also menu or :menu is your friend here...

I'm trying to find out if anyone from the Beusergroup kept a backup/archive of the Wiki data as there were a few CLI related guides on there.
  Print Thread

Jump to