Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User youngsyp
(member) Thu 09-Jul-15 11:31:20
Print Post

Draytek Vigor 120 not working with Billion BiPAC 7800n

[link to this post]

Hi,

After some advice if possible. I bought a used Draytek Vigor 120 modem after discovering my MSAN uses a Infineon chipset. I'm trying to get it to work with my current Billion 7800N but it doesn't seem to be able to connect.
The Vigor has been factory reset and as advised by Draytek, I'm using the default settings. With the Billion, I set it to use the EWAN port as the main port and leave all other config as I would if using its internal modem.
My ISP is Xilo who provide me with a static IP and username and password to connect.
When all connected up, the DSL light on the Vigor goes solid lit as it should but the Billion reports that it's 'connecting' and never establishes an internet link.
I've tried the Vigor connected directly to a laptop and I'm able to set up an internet connection straight off the bat, with just username and password entered in the Windows set up wizard when prompted.
So it seems as though the Vigor and Billion aren't communicating for what ever reason. What am I doing wrong?
The Vigor is on the latest firmware (updated by me) and the Billion is on the 1.06h firmware I believe.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Paul

ISP: Xilo
Service: Talk & Surf Unmetered
Exchange: EMSILVE
Cabinet: 4
MSAN: TBC
Modem/ router: Billion BiPac 7800N
Attenuation:26.0dB
Target SNRM: 3.3dB or 52% of ISP
Current sync: 17915kbps

Edited by youngsyp (Thu 09-Jul-15 11:32:37)

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 09-Jul-15 11:48:39
Print Post

Re: Draytek Vigor 120 not working with Billion BiPAC 7800n

[re: youngsyp] [link to this post]

Do they both have the same preset LAN IP address?

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync 58162/14182kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User youngsyp
(member) Thu 09-Jul-15 11:58:34
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Hi,

No they don't. The Billion has the default 192.168.1.254 and the Vigor has the default 192.168.2.1. Tried to change the Vigors to be on the same subnet but, it wont have it and wont let me log in to the web UI if it's changed from default.

Paul

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 09-Jul-15 12:53:39
Print Post

Can you change the Billion to 192.168.2.254 and exclude 192.168.2.1 from its allocation range? Though AIUI it should be fine as it is.

A second thought, do you need to set the Billion to PPPoE?

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Standard User youngsyp
(member) Thu 09-Jul-15 12:56:28
Print Post

I could change the Billion's IP address but, as you, I understand it will make no difference.

Billion is set to PPPoE.

One thing I'm thinking of is that the authentication in the Billion is set to 'CHAP'. I wonder if this should be set to 'Auto'...

Paul

Standard User youngsyp
(member) Fri 10-Jul-15 11:27:58
Print Post

Sorted it. From what I can tell, when switching to EWAN a new field appears called Service Name. That had 'Xilo' in it and I don't think the Vigor appreciated it. Once I removed that, it connected.
Shame I can sync at a higher rate with the tweaked SNRM on the Billion really. Oh and the latency is higher with the Vigor. I've seen that before when using the two box approach though... It was worth an experiment at least.

Paul

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 10-Jul-15 12:25:07
Print Post

But! But!

Great that you have it working, but you say without the Vigor you can get a higher sync and lower latency.

So .... What's the Vigor for? Apart from sending your electricity bill up as well as degrading the broadband. tongue

Standard User youngsyp
(member) Tue 14-Jul-15 12:44:18
Print Post

Indeed. Guess where the Vigor is now...

It's a shame it's not 'adjustable' as it synced at only 500Kb/s or so lower than the Billion even with a 5dB for the target SNRM, proving chipset matching is advantageous. To get that extra 500Kb/s or so with the Billion I need to sync it with a 3.3dB target SNRM.
Not that it matters on my current line as it's rock solid, dropping to 1.6dB at high noise periods and shooting straight up to 3.3dB every night at just after 10pm interestingly.
I did ask Xilo to place my service on a 3dB profile but TTB don't offer it apparently!
The latency differences are less forgivable though, especially as I've done all I can to lower it by all other available means.

Paul

Print Thread

Jump to