Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User time2die
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 15-Jul-15 13:30:34
Print Post

Synology DS215J

[link to this post]

Bought this the other day to replace Mybook Live,it comes with 2x2 tb drives but i only seem to have access to one.

What i mean is wherever its storing the films and music it says spare space is 1.7 left or something like that.

Complicated bit of kit and lots of options which at present are way over my head,i was just wandering if this second drive is just mirroring the first and i haven't really got 4TB as in 2x2 drives but only the one for my stuff.

Anybody throw any light on this system or is it me just been plain stupid and not to technically minded.

When i say access i don't actually see the drive i just have folders for music.pictures and Movies .

Edited by time2die (Wed 15-Jul-15 13:31:35)

Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 15-Jul-15 14:14:09
Print Post

Re: Synology DS215J

[re: time2die] [link to this post]

Is the drive setup for mirroring (box could call it "Raid 1")? I am guessing that it is configured so that one disc mirrors the other for redundancy therefore you only have 2TB of available storage.

Edited by ian72 (Wed 15-Jul-15 14:14:43)

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 15-Jul-15 15:49:30
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

From the Synology specification the drives and setup are by whoever sold it the OP, or an intermediate wholesaler. It doesn't seem to have any drives as standard.

Edit: Maybe one of these.

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync 57840/12740kbps @ 600m. - BQM

Edited by RobertoS (Wed 15-Jul-15 15:51:44)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User iand
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 17-Jul-15 18:34:38
Print Post

as ian72 said. You have 2 drives. The system is set to treat 1 drive as a copy of the other so you effectively only have 1/2 the overall space. 2*2=4 but 1/2 uses as a copy = 2. You never get the full size as some is used for directories and other file mtc space, hence you have 1.7TB of space.

You could take the risk of assuming both your 2TB drives will never fail (I never do that) and you can use the config options to change the drive config to Just a bunch of disks (JBOD) and you would then get 4TB of space (no redundancy). If you do this then all data on the drive will be lost during the change, so copy all data from the drive first...

I would just leave alone and use the 1.7TB you have. It will last a while!!

Good luck

IanD
Standard User Michael_Chare
(experienced) Wed 29-Jul-15 17:13:14
Print Post

I have one with two disk in it..

The Operating system is mirrored, so it is the same on both disks. It is not possible to avoid this.

I configured the unit so that the data area on both disks is not mirrored. I make other arrangements for backup.

Two of the apps I have added are Minimum Server and VPN. I can now access my data remotely using my mobile phone.

Michael Chare
  Print Thread

Jump to