Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User nemeth782
(member) Sat 18-Jul-15 14:40:10
Print Post

Draytek 2860ac FTTC Load Balancing

[link to this post]

Hi all.

I have a Draytek 2860ac connected to two FTTC connections, one (talktalk) directly via WAN1, the other (plusnet) via a HG612 modem on WAN2.

I previously used this setup with "connectify dispatch" software and two routers to load balance, and it was very effective for torrents, steam downloads, even speedtest.net etc.

The 2860ac seems to want to send all connections via a single WAN. I've tried both auto weight and according to line speed, but it doesn't seem to make a difference.

If I look at the online status->Physical connection screen, the RX bytes aren't really changing when I'm downloading stuff so I don't even really know which connection the thing is using from there.

Looking at the NAT Sessions section, almost every connection is going out WAN1.

Data flow monitor shows, right now, 311 connections via WAN1 and 3 via WAN2.

Sometimes it decides it prefers WAN2 and ignores WAN1.

If I'm very lucky and restart the download many times, sometimes steam will use both connections.

How do I make the thing load balance properly/more agressively?
Standard User caffn8me
(knowledge is power) Sat 18-Jul-15 18:40:23
Print Post

Re: Draytek 2860ac FTTC Load Balancing

[re: nemeth782] [link to this post]

Buggy firmware would be my guess. That's fairly standard for Draytek (and I use them at eight sites).

3.7.8.2 and 3.7.8.3 for 2860 series certainly contain several bugs I've already discovered and reported to Draytek.

Earlier versions had different bugs.

Good luck!

Sarah

--
If I can't drink my bowl of coffee three times daily, then in my torment, I will shrivel up like a piece of roast goat

Spiders on coffee - Badass spiders on drugs
Standard User nemeth782
(member) Sat 18-Jul-15 20:50:52
Print Post

Re: Draytek 2860ac FTTC Load Balancing

[re: caffn8me] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by caffn8me:
Buggy firmware would be my guess. That's fairly standard for Draytek (and I use them at eight sites).

3.7.8.2 and 3.7.8.3 for 2860 series certainly contain several bugs I've already discovered and reported to Draytek.

Earlier versions had different bugs.

Good luck!

You're right, this £250 router is just a bag of [censored].

Draytek's interpretation of the word "balance" is 49mbit on one line, 3kbit on the other....

http://imgur.com/P8U9ZYE

I've managed to improve on that by telling it to send everything to an IP address of 128.0.0.0-254.0.0.0 to WAN2. Quick and very dirty but works for torrents on the assumption that roughly half the IPs are 128.0.0.0/1.

I think this thing is getting sent back as faulty.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread

Jump to