Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User daveaspy
(newbie) Tue 28-Jul-15 09:15:24
Print Post

Binning the HH5

[link to this post]

I am having terrible troubles with my BT HH5 - devices getting isolated on the 5GHz wifi, wifi dropouts, not being able to get anything through the firewall or even onto the DMZ (never had these problems on previous Sky routers or even earlier homehubs). So I am looking at dropping the HH5 and have a couple of alternatives...

I still have a white Openreach modem (ECI) from my first Infinity installation - I could use this and get maybe an Asus RT N56U wifi router for £65

I could forget the OR modem and get a VDSL wifi router such as the TP-LINK TD-W9980 for £62

Is there an obvious choice between these two? I'd like the Asus router as it has good reviews but will the OR modem be fine going forward, if there are any network upgrades for example?

Edited by daveaspy (Tue 28-Jul-15 09:31:44)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 28-Jul-15 12:11:50
Print Post

Re: Binning the HH5

[re: daveaspy] [link to this post]

Things change at a rate that you cannot be sure on any device being good 18 months down the line.

The TP-Link does have choice of using its built in VDSL2 modem, or its Ethernet WAN port with the ECI.

The DDWRT firmware versions for Asus Ethernet routers make them more fun to tinker with.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User KelvinBridge
(regular) Tue 28-Jul-15 13:54:20
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Tinker ! !

Tinker yea not !!

Such levity, shocked ... I'm shocked !!

Frankie Howerd's wig would be spinning !!!

ooh matron ''' Carry on Tinkering '

Edited by KelvinBridge (Tue 28-Jul-15 13:58:57)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User daveaspy
(newbie) Tue 28-Jul-15 16:06:23
Print Post

[re: KelvinBridge] [link to this post]

however, having just received BT's email about price increases - I may just ditch them altogether!
Standard User KelvinBridge
(regular) Tue 28-Jul-15 18:18:52
Print Post

[re: daveaspy] [link to this post]

I do so agree, paying extra to bt for '' 5GHz whiz , gee whiz dropouts '', is a No No !

Moi can disconnect my HH3 whiz my iccle hands at no financial cost .

You have a Ditch or is it a moat ?

Do you live in a Castle ? :-}

Edited by KelvinBridge (Tue 28-Jul-15 18:20:41)

Print Thread

Jump to