Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User wdg
(newbie) Wed 12-Aug-15 07:30:31
Print Post

Please help me understand this...

[link to this post]

I'm getting results like this for the last 2 weeks at 1.8Mbps :-http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results.html?id=143935407510907241177

My ISP (Plusnet) has at last come back to me with their speed test results (tiff) which are what I am used to (5.9 Mbps).

Can anyone please explain the discrepancy? I use a Netgear DG834G v3 modem connected to my Apple Extreme n,g router via ethernet. All access is currently through the wireless n network an has bee for the last 4 years during which I've been getting up to 5 Mbps quite happily.
TiA TerryB
Standard User wdg
(newbie) Wed 12-Aug-15 09:30:11
Print Post

Re: Please help me understand this...

[re: wdg] [link to this post]

And what does this mean please? Tagged on to the results graphics from the ISP test:-

"The customer is currently within estimate, however, low FTR suggests potential EPP, sending ODC's"
thanks
TerryB
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 12-Aug-15 09:43:45
Print Post

What does the PlusNet Portal say your IP profile is and what are the connection stats from the DG834 modem.

You also need to rule out wireless as an issue by connecting over Ethernet, but shape of speed test suggests a 2 Mbps cap has been applied to line e.g. stuck IP profile or banding. Is this a WBC ADSL2+ connection or an older up to 8 Mbps IPStream Max service?

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User wdg
(newbie) Wed 12-Aug-15 13:25:51
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks for the reply.
I have run the BTwholesale speedtest as instructed by Plusnet and it produces a max of 3.42 with 2 different modems both via the test socket and through the Extreme

As you say, this appears to suggest that I am being throttled by Plusnet i.e. the "further Diagnostics" option of the speedtest shows a max speed of about 7Mbps BUT ends with "IP Profile for your line is - 3 Mbps".

I did ask if they were throttling but they never answered that!
TerryB
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 12-Aug-15 14:06:37
Print Post

Plusnet have no control over your sync speed, and your sync speed sets the IP Profile. As they appear from your earlier post to have submitted a fault report to BT Wholesale, it seems unlikely they are throttling you smile.

What is odd that the BT Wholesale test reports above 3Mbps. Are you testing wired or wireless to the router?

If you run the test again it would be best wired, and for you to copy and paste the full contents of both the text boxes on the Further Diagnostics page.

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync 57584/13846kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User 961a
(regular) Wed 12-Aug-15 15:51:48
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Am I not correct in thinking that if you are testing with different routers you are continually disconnecting and not allowing sync to settle but simply arranging for exchange equipment to lower your sync in attempts to arrange a stable uninterrupted connection?

I'd guess you need to leave it alone for a couple of days to allow speed to recover

Edited by 961a (Wed 12-Aug-15 15:53:24)

Standard User MHC
(sensei) Wed 12-Aug-15 16:13:08
Print Post

[re: 961a] [link to this post]

You are not correct.

Power off the modem/router and leave it connected to the line for a short while. The modem utilises the "last gasp" and tells the DSLAM that power has been lost. DLM will then not intervene as it is a power issue and not a line or noise issue.

If you disconnect the line first then you can see intervention and that is the wrong way to do it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 12-Aug-15 18:18:08
Print Post

To know if the 3 Mbps IP Profile is correct we need to see the stats from the modem.

NOTE: PlusNet may have you capped at 2 Mbps as they may be using a slightly out of date IP Profile, so not sure where in the PlusNet portal it is, but you can see what copy they are using.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User 961a
(regular) Wed 12-Aug-15 18:59:30
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MHC:
You are not correct.

Power off the modem/router and leave it connected to the line for a short while. The modem utilises the "last gasp" and tells the DSLAM that power has been lost. DLM will then not intervene as it is a power issue and not a line or noise issue.

If you disconnect the line first then you can see intervention and that is the wrong way to do it.

I didn't suggest which way to do it, merely warned that continually interrupting the connection could result in lowered speeds
Standard User wdg
(newbie) Fri 14-Aug-15 08:40:12
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks for the updates. How can I send you the outputs from the BT test? I have them as .tiff

TerryB

PS - looks like I'm going to have to learn a whole new set of jargon - DLAM DSLAM... smile
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to