Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User thomasw88
(newbie) Wed 19-Aug-15 10:30:23
Print Post

ADSL/VDSL Modem

[link to this post]

Hi peeps,

first time poster so go easy please!!

Looking for recommendations for a new modem/router. Currently on ADSL2 with BT, but looking at going fibre in the new year when my contract expires. We'll probably go with sky for broadband then.

Current modem is HH4 which is ok but not great, getting quite a few dropped connections these days so looking to buy something now.

Two options

1. going for something cheap that will work for the next few months (ADSL only)

2.get something that will last a few years and as such would need to have both ADSL/VDSL capability.

budget option 1 - £80

budget option 2 - £150-£200

I'm looking for reliability and range, I'm not afraid of tweaking but not desperate to if Its not neccesary. Happpy to consder all in one or two boxes, reliability and range is most important.

cheers,

tom

Edited by thomasw88 (Wed 19-Aug-15 11:47:44)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 19-Aug-15 11:33:51
Print Post

Re: ADSL/VDSL Modem

[re: thomasw88] [link to this post]

Sky provide an all-in-one device that does work, it does not offer the fastest wireless speeds but seems good in the modem sense, so why not consider just adding a dual-band wireless access point rather than replacing the hardware you will get free anyway (and would need to be used if reporting a fault anyway)

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User thomasw88
(newbie) Wed 19-Aug-15 11:58:16
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks for the reply.

what would be good recommmendations for that?

I need something to replace the hh4 until such time that get fibre.

Edited by thomasw88 (Wed 19-Aug-15 11:58:37)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ZenUserJP
(regular) Wed 19-Aug-15 12:16:48
Print Post

Hello,

I have one of these currently running on Zen. It does PPPoA (ADSL) and PPPoE (VDSL) and it's well known for being a rock solid piece of kit. It's only got one Gigabit port but if it's going onto FTTC then why would people need more anyway is my view. This is an All In One device also

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Billion-8800NL-Gigabit-Wirel...

Please google/consider it. It's a real pleasure to setup and use. or like Andrew says if you go to somewhere like Sky they do their Hub which has it all built in also. The second newest review makes a reference to how good it is over Sky's also

In regards to the diagnostic stuff, He's right there too however a lot of ISP's now are offering customers who go to fibre the chance to just have a BTO modem installed by an engineer and use their own kit(Like I had). In the event of a fault you can just create a PPPoE connection to your PC and then rule out stuff that way

Edited by ZenUserJP (Wed 19-Aug-15 12:23:40)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 19-Aug-15 13:41:42
Print Post

[re: ZenUserJP] [link to this post]

Actually if you want something to use now then usually suggest the TP-Link W9980 at £62 which does ADSL2+/VDSL2 and is dual band wireless too.

The Billion 8800NL is only 2.4 GHz wireless so more likely to have issues due to other networks in the surrounding area.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User thomasw88
(newbie) Wed 19-Aug-15 13:47:29
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Hi,

thanks guys, had seen both those modems, so will probably go for one of them.
Standard User mlmclaren
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 19-Aug-15 13:55:43
Print Post

Yes I think a safe bet would be the TP-Link Andrew has recommended.... well priced and seems to work well too.

Print Thread

Jump to