Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User dilus
(member) Thu 20-Aug-15 19:09:52
Print Post

BT Home Hub 2 query

[link to this post]

Might be a stupid question but is the BT Home Hub 2 capable of handling 14 mbs upload speeds ? The reason I ask is BT have recently upgraded my broadband speed from an average of 6mbs to over 14 mbs and I am now experiencing drop outs. Although I am pleased that BT provided the extra speed free of charge, the drop outs are a pain. I have recently purchased an Amazon Fire TV Stick (3 weeks after the speed upgrade) hoping the extra speed will allow it to work well. The stick does work fine but the number of drop outs have increased every time I use it. The Hub disconnects at least once every time I watch a programme via the stick and the only way I can re connect is by resetting the Hub. I have read numerous theories to improve WIFI connectivity to the stick and even resorted to turning off WIFI on every device in the house whilst it's in use. I have tried changing channel on the hub but nothing seems to improve things.
Would an upgrade to a newer Home Hub 5 improve WIFI connectivity to the stick ? I have been with BT for 7 years on the Home Hub 2 and in all of that time it has been quite reliable but since the upgrade in speed it doesn't seem to like it, especially when the stick is in use. I am on normal broadband via copper cabling to the house (not Infinity) and BT are the only suppliers of broadband in a village of 715 properties, could it be a case of over demand ? Getting a little frustrated

BT Broadband

a dog is for life, so DON'T marry one!
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 20-Aug-15 19:42:29
Print Post

Re: BT Home Hub 2 query

[re: dilus] [link to this post]

Are you sure you mean upload?

ADSL based products usually have a maximum upload of around 0.8 Mbps.

Download is what you use for watching streamed video and the old HH2 was fine with ADSL2+ type speeds. The mention of the Fire TV stick suggests this is less of a connection but more a Wi-Fi issue and even at 802.11g you should be able to manage 14 Mbps.

You need to
a) Check the speeds using an Ethernet cable and http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest
b) Do the same for your wireless using tablet/laptop first close to where the HH2 is, and then where the FireTV stick is plugged in.

If (b) is slower than (a) by a lot then maybe time for a new Home Hub or additional wireless access point.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User dilus
(member) Fri 21-Aug-15 09:45:37
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks MrSaffron for the quick reply, yes I did mean download sorry. I have done the speedtests as you suggested and there is almost no difference between Ethernet or WI-FI results, in fact the Ethernet result and WI-FI result (near the stick) are virtually identical 14.45 Mbps and 14.46 Mbps respectively with upload of 0.7 Mbps for both.
I have read a bit more about the HH 5 and will try it out using the TV Stick on the 5Mhz band and all other devices on the 2.5 Mhz band and see if it makes the sticks connection any more reliable. Will post back as soon as I have had a play. It was a typical case last night watching one episode of a programme using the stick and the connection dropped out twice in the first 20 minutes (2 re sets) then watched another episode and no drop out at all, annoying and I would love to get a more stable connection

BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 21-Aug-15 12:57:35
Print Post

Was the graphs solid stable lines on the speed test? WiFi usually shows more variation, i.e. you can get the same numbers but quality difference is reflected during the period of the test

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User keith969
(newbie) Fri 21-Aug-15 13:18:18
Print Post

HH5 runs both 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands. I find on average that I can only get on the 5GHz band if in the same room as the hub, 5GHz does not go through brick walls! Its advantage though is interference from neighbours is unlikely.

Your results are pretty similar to what I got on ADSL2 - about 15Mb/s down, 0.8Mb/s up. I had a HH3 before and that was rock solid, I get the impression that the HH4/5 have less output power than the previous models (although I can find no specs on this) so may actually be worse.
Standard User dilus
(member) Fri 21-Aug-15 13:23:07
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

A couple of peaks and troughs on both Ethernet and WI-FI, 1 trough on Ethernet but 2 on WI-FI, didn't save links but saved images. If I check my connection using InSSider the graph is a constant solid line with no peaks or troughs so it leads me to think it's a WI-FI issue causing the disconnections from the stick !

BT Broadband

Standard User dilus
(member) Fri 21-Aug-15 16:47:41
Print Post

[re: keith969] [link to this post]

Thanks keith969, I'll try the HH 5 when I can get my hands on it, the router is in the same room as the TV stick with a clear line of sight no more than 5m away, so I am a little surprised that the old HH 2 disconnects considering the stats I'm getting on it. Weekend of experimenting I think. Thanks for the help and suggestions so far both, it's appreciated. One thing is for sure I know more about routers now than I did a week ago smile

BT Broadband

Standard User dilus
(member) Sat 22-Aug-15 00:19:21
Print Post

Well I think we have cracked it, borrowed my neighbours BT Home Hub 4 (not 5) set it up using both bands with all devices except the Fire TV Stick on 2.5GHz and the stick using the 5GHz band and hey presto, 3 episodes of Outlander watched tonight without a hiccup, no disconnects at all despite 4 other devices using the 2.5 GHz band at the same time as streaming Outlander. You do have to turn off "smart set up" on the HH 4 before attempting to connect the TV Stick to the 5GHz band though, easily done by entering the router settings and I also set the 5GHz band to channel 36 as suggested by other users with similar issues. A thoroughly enjoyable evenings viewing without having to re set the router. My thanks to Andrew and Keith for taking the time to respond with their input. I am now hoping we can enjoy everything that the Amazon Fire TV Stick can offer without numerous trips to the router. All I need to do now is get myself a Home Hub 4..........BT or Ebay mmmmm smile

BT Broadband

Edited by dilus (Sat 22-Aug-15 00:21:01)

Standard User Kr1s69
(knowledge is power) Sat 22-Aug-15 07:33:41
Print Post

You can get a home hub 5 for about £30 many of which will be brand new in box. (I just sold one on eBay for £37) if you're happy with a used one they're even cheaper.

Kris

BT Infinity
Ashington (Northumberland) Exchange
Standard User dilus
(member) Sat 22-Aug-15 10:33:53
Print Post

[re: Kr1s69] [link to this post]

Yes no brainer Kr1s69, trying to get one free off BT would be like trying to get blood out of a stone smile

BT Broadband

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to