Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User mbames
(regular) Fri 21-Aug-15 20:58:16
Print Post

Draytek Vigor 2925

[link to this post]

Seemingly I spoke too soon about this being a stable uniy, I'm running one of these with the latest firmware and today it has rebooted 5 or 6 times.

I've been working at home, and have had quite a high level of outbound traffic (Sky 40/10) via my HG612. When I was using the Vigor 2820 this was never a problem, so I'm sure the 2925 must be dodgy under high upload traffic.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Thanks,
Matt

Standard User mbames
(regular) Sat 22-Aug-15 13:47:27
Print Post

Re: Draytek Vigor 2925

[re: mbames] [link to this post]

As an update to this, I have removed the port 81 redirection to an internal device running on port 80, and also the open port 80 to a different internal device running on port 80 to see if that helps - so far it has managed 94 minutes with out rebooting!

I had the same configuration on my 2820 and that was fine.

WAN IP:80 -> CCTV unit:80
WAN IP:81 -> rpi:80 (for remote control of various items in the house)

Standard User Pipexer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 22-Aug-15 23:02:51
Print Post

Flash with latest firmware .RST file. This will restore all config back to factory. Then reconfigure from ground up, and try again.

When it comes to Draytek, resetting to factory default is usually expected in troubleshooting stuff.

AAISP Home::1

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User mbames
(regular) Sun 23-Aug-15 10:05:22
Print Post

[re: Pipexer] [link to this post]

Just noted all the settings down, about to reflash with the latest (same) RST file. The benefit of this router is that it seems to reboot in about 5 seconds smile

I'll go with a basic setup for a few days (no site to site VPNs or Port forward/redirection) and see how it goes. Fingers crossed.

Standard User mbames
(regular) Sun 23-Aug-15 11:23:07
Print Post

Sadly it managed about 50 minutes before it rebooted again.

I've got a pretty basic config:
- DHCP option 61 (sky fibre), WAN1 mac changed
- dynamic DNS (no-ip.org)
- Wifi (single SSID)
- a few static MAC addresses

HG612(wan1) -> (wan1)2925(lan1) -> SamKnows -> Gigswitch

Currently just my desktop (cat5), rpi (cat5), phone (wifi), and cctv (cat5)

I've tried removing the SamKnows monitoring box, and don't have the HG612 WAN2 management connected up

--

Edit: I've removed the dyndns & static mac address reservations (can't see how that will help, but can't get much of a basic/standard setup!)

Edited by mbames (Sun 23-Aug-15 11:34:23)

Standard User mbames
(regular) Sun 23-Aug-15 11:51:30
Print Post

and 20 minutes later it has rebooted again frown

Standard User Pipexer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 23-Aug-15 12:23:38
Print Post

In reply to a post by mbames:
and 20 minutes later it has rebooted again frown

There are definately no loops/broadcast storms/fatulty equipment on that network?

I would say at this point, do the RST again, and this time, just put back the VERY basic minimal config, i.e., username and password for the DSL, and if possible, unplug everything apart from just one PC also.

If the router continues to reboot, then I would say it is definately faulty, log a support call with Draytek UK, and explain very clearly that you have done an .RST with minimal config (they'll very likelt ask you to do this) and yet it is still rebooting. At this point they will probably agree it is faulty and should exchange it for you, assuming its still under warranty.

Doing the .RST was/is the best thing to do though, there are so many things that you can set in the config of Draytek routers which will cause weirdo issues, and that isn't even getting to in-place firmware upgrades!

AAISP Home::1

Edited by Pipexer (Sun 23-Aug-15 12:24:09)

Standard User mbames
(regular) Sun 23-Aug-15 12:56:12
Print Post

This configuration was working as-is with a 2820. I swapped out the 2820 for the 2925, and I'm sure it was fine for a few days. No loops, etc that I am aware off, and certainly the switch isn't lit up like a Christmas tree.

I then obtained a DrayTek router tray, so on Friday I mounted the router on that and pop it into my rack at home (it is in the loft, and nice and cool - so much rain currently). It has been Friday onwards since I notice the reboots.

As the device was now plugged into a power surge protected PDU, I initially disconnected that and it is running direct from a UPS (as how the 2820 used to be). Had no affect in its rebooting (changed that on Saturday AM).

When I rack mounted the unit, I used some wifi extension cables, and mounted the aerials (just the 2 of them as this is only the n unit) externally of the rack. Having googled, I found an article were someone had a 2830 (iirc) and that unit was rebooting a few times a day; and they (seemingly) cured it by disabling the wifi, so I'm currently giving that a whirl (using an AP-700). Can you guess that I am a DrayTek fan?

Next step, I'll flash it again with the RST and go as basic as I can - change of LAN IP range, DHCP option 61 & MAC for Sky Fibre, and leave wifi off. As basic as it can get.

If it still continues I'll unrack mount it and run it on a shelf (how it was till before Friday).

Unfortunately I bought the unit from ebay (it was brand new, and still in its original seal bag in the box. Guess I could try returning it to the seller as faulty if DrayTek support won't help me.

Thanks smile

Link to rack image
Speed test result (when it isn't rebooting!!)

Edited by mbames (Sun 23-Aug-15 13:18:33)

Standard User mbames
(regular) Tue 25-Aug-15 11:48:05
Print Post

Been up for 44hrs with wifi disabled, and VPN and other configurations reapplied, so I'm sure that is the problem. Raised a support ticket with DrayTek.

Seems that wifi and having it rack mounted is the problem. Will see what solutions they offer up....maybe a nice 910c AP smile

Sky Fibre (40/10), HG612, DrayTek 2925, DrayTek AP-700
(Gone but not forgotten: 2820n x 2, 2800vg, 2800)

Speedtests:
ThinkBB - Mini | ThinkBB - Full | Speedtest.net
  Print Thread

Jump to