Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User shaneosborne
(experienced) Tue 15-Sep-15 15:25:44
Print Post

Multicast

[link to this post]

I've had the Billion 7800n for a while now but wanted to ask;

What should I set the Wireless Multicast Rate to (30, 60, 90, 120, 180, 240, 270, 300Mbps)?

Many thanks in advance...
(experienced) Wed 16-Sep-15 15:01:28
Print Post

Re: Multicast

[re: shaneosborne] [link to this post]

Can anyone assist? It's currently set at 30Mbps, should I change this (is higher better)?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 16-Sep-15 15:11:20
Print Post

If you are doing streaming at above 30 Mbps then setting higher might help e.g. streaming from a local NAS, but otherwise having it set too high can affect standard web browsing activity.

So for the majority people setting it to low 30 Mbps value is fine.

Its one of those lovely - it depends on what you are doing with the wireless network settings.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

(experienced) Fri 18-Sep-15 12:11:29
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Many thanks, i'll leave as it is.

Connection is only used for PC/PS4 gaming and general browsing via other devices.

I read that the higher you set it, it can decrease your wifi range. Is this true?

I fail to understand why this would be the case, unless setting higher uses more power limiting the wifi output...

Thanks again.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 18-Sep-15 14:41:57
Print Post

It can reduce the usable range and is all about making sure that things like video streaming can work reliably at those bit rates, and really 4K does not need more than 25 Mbps, but some people might stream uncompressed material from a local NAS and so it may be worthwhile for them.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
(experienced) Sun 20-Sep-15 15:07:03
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Many thanks...
  Print Thread

Jump to