Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User AlistairS
(member) Thu 24-Sep-15 22:00:26
Print Post

New Modem Router for Plusnet ADSL

[link to this post]

My father is currently using an old O2 modem router I gave him a few years back for his Plusnet ADSL.

Looking for recommendations for a good stable wireless modem router for him?

I currently run an Asus RT-AC66U on my Plusnet Fibre connection and have found that very good.

Would the Asus DSL-N66U be a suitable replacement for his old setup or something else?

Budget around £80
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 24-Sep-15 22:43:25
Print Post

Re: New Modem Router for Plusnet ADSL

[re: AlistairS] [link to this post]

the DSL-n66u should do the job fine, and if VDSL2 arrives will be suitable as an all in one solution too

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User AlistairS
(member) Fri 25-Sep-15 07:14:30
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks will get that ordered up now

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User AlistairS
(member) Tue 29-Sep-15 22:01:50
Print Post

I have been looking at the TP-Link AC1200 Wireless Dual Band Gigabit Router
Archer C5. Would this be better option than the Asus? He is hopefully opening a small B&B soon and would like to offer wireless to the bedrooms.

Or something else?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 29-Sep-15 22:59:07
Print Post

No built in ADSL2+ or VDSL modem which was an important thing in the original post means the C5 is off the list

The TD-W9980 is there ADSL/VDSL2 modem router at £62 or the new version VR900 at £125 has much better wireless it would seem.

Both offer a guest mode that may be suitable for low volume WiFi sharing. No idea of the size of the B&B but spending a little time making sure every room has good coverage may pay dividends at review time. To get best coverage it may need not just one wireless router, but maybe additional wireless access points to cover any areas of poor wireless.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User AlistairS
(member) Wed 30-Sep-15 06:00:10
Print Post

OK, thanks. Is the AC standard worth the extra money over the N class routers?

The B&B has 4 rooms. Its a converted steading
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 30-Sep-15 09:32:05
Print Post

Yes especially if going to be using on a FTTC or faster connection.

Even on ADSL2+ AC which comes with dual band can mean you avoid the congestion issues of the older 2.4GHz wireless band.

Standard User Malwaremike
(committed) Wed 30-Sep-15 11:41:23
Print Post

Alistair, if the converted steading is what I think it is you will need a couple of access points, devolo or similar. Getting a signal through two or three feet of stone wall is even harder than getting a pipe or cable through it!
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 30-Sep-15 11:56:16
Print Post

[re: Malwaremike] [link to this post]

Is the devolo extenders

If solid stone walls then 5GHz wifi not likely to get through, so almost one plug per room might be needed

Standard User ian007jen
(committed) Wed 30-Sep-15 21:09:44
Print Post

Alistair....this should have been thought about during the conversion process with cat5e cabling installed between each bedroom and a central point.

Ian
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to