Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User BarkingMad
(learned) Sun 06-Dec-15 20:38:04
Print Post

Replacement router/modem

[link to this post]

Currently using ECI 1B + HH3 on 40/10 connected by Berkhamsted cabinet 10

The HH3 is becoming unreliable with TR69 timeouts in the event log.

Thinking of replacing both with DSL-AC68U.

I have the following questions
1) what is the difference between ECI and HGI modem and will the AC68U be an easy swap for my current kit?
2) the AC68U seems to have had problems in the past with results of line speeds dropping. Have these been fixed?
3) do any modems/routers have the facility to show usage per connected device? BT web only provides a single figure

Any other suggestions for alternative kit will be appreciated

Thanks
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Sun 06-Dec-15 21:35:24
Print Post

Re: Replacement router/modem

[re: BarkingMad] [link to this post]

You're connected to a Huawei cabinet so a Broadcom based modem will give good results.

The HG612 modem is Broadcom based but you will need the latest firmware to enable G.INP

The ECI modem is lantiq-based and will perform less well in comparison.
Standard User BarkingMad
(learned) Sun 06-Dec-15 22:27:26
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Thanks. The ECI was provided by BTOR. Strange they would mix their equipment. How did you find out that my cabinet was Hauwei?

I believe the dsl-ac68u is Broadcom based. I am guessing it may be more cost effective to get the Del-ac68u instead of a HG612 (with latest firmware Amazon???) and separate router, say rt-ac68u?

Does anyone know whether the AC68U is stable now?

Is there any router that will show data usage by device?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Sun 06-Dec-15 22:32:34
Print Post

I believe the DSL-AC68U has a Mediatek chipset. I still recommend the Huawei HG612 v3B which are cheap on Ebay, although it will need to be running the latest firmware for G.INP support.
Standard User BarkingMad
(learned) Mon 07-Dec-15 20:12:45
Print Post

Thanks. How can I find out the latest version of firmware for G.INP support? Does it need to be unlocked?

If I go for a separate router, do any of them provide usage by connected device? BT say I've used 30GB and I cannot see how that is possible so I need to look at usage per connected device.

Friends are having terrible trouble with their HH5 on Infinity 40/10 in Otford Cabinet 3. Can you tell me whether they needs an ECI or HG612?

Thanks
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Mon 07-Dec-15 21:13:47
Print Post

Problem is if you don't unlock it, you can't tell if G.INP is working. Unlock details + firmware location here http://www.kitz.co.uk/routers/hg612unlock.htm

They need a Huawei HG612 really, unless they have a HH5B of course. Cabinet details here http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/cabinet-lookup.htm
Standard User johnb2008
(regular) Mon 14-Dec-15 21:54:50
Print Post

I wouldn't recommend using the modem part of the Asus. There is a 95-page thread on the Overclockers forum about Asus problems. It seems to work OK for a few people, but there are many for whom it doesn't.

I have an Asus DSL-N66U (a relative of the AC68 but without AC wireless). Even with last month's firmware upgrade my download speed is around 30Mbps. When I use my OR ECI modem my speed goes back to its usual 60Mbps (BT Infinity 2).

It appears that the Netgear D7000 is a much better bet for a single-box solution, but I haven't tried one on my line.
  Print Thread

Jump to