Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User leew1988
(newbie) Tue 22-Dec-15 00:57:51
Print Post

Which router

[link to this post]

Hi guys.

Will try keep it short as poss.

Ex Sky user using Sky's Hub 2. Changed to Utility Warehouse, couldnt get Sky Hub to work so purchased Utility Warehouse 'Premium' router.
Not happy with Utility Warehouse, going back to Sky.
Sky have told me it is possible to use 3rd party routers but they wont help..

My question is, Do I try and use this Premium router with Sky.. If its hassle, is it worth the hassle? Is it that much better than the Black Sky Hub?
Or do I just use the Sky Hub and try get some money back for the Premium Router from Utility Warehouse?

The Premium router in question is called Technicolor MediaAccess TG589vac

Appreciate any help given
Thanks

Edited by leew1988 (Tue 22-Dec-15 00:58:52)

Standard User dandnsmith
(experienced) Tue 22-Dec-15 09:03:40
Print Post

Re: Which router

[re: leew1988] [link to this post]

I have a Technicolor TG589vn v3 - and I hate it, as the GUI doesn't work, the allocation of IP addresses via MAC doesn't work ....
I had to do most of the configuration work on a text file, found by saving the current state.
I got it (not free) from my supplier (XILO).
Further, the collection of stats - something I found useful with my older Netgear routers - was awkward/impossible.
You decide whether to keep it!

Derek
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 22-Dec-15 11:04:19
Print Post

[re: dandnsmith] [link to this post]

The Sky Hubs are not the fastest wireless but range is good enough here, but of course varies from home to home

Various guides to getting username and password from Sky e.g. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vvmn3xI77Os

As for the Technicolor wireless AC is ok, but can get better devices so all depends on what you paid for it. Technicolor kit has not moved on a lot in terms of user friendly features though.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User leew1988
(newbie) Tue 22-Dec-15 15:44:34
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

So its not as 'premium' as they make out to be then? It cost £20, would of only cost £20 if I stayed with them 12 months but as I wont be there is a further £20 charge for it, hoping that will be covered by sky paying my exit fee charges though so its either cost me £20 or £40 depending on that
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 22-Dec-15 15:55:00
Print Post

Provider supplied hardware is rarely top of the range, the premium is really usually just a reference to the previous device they supplied.

If you ever have a fault, Sky would be pestering you to use their hardware when testing connection anyway.

Some of most feature full hardware that is really premium is the Netgear Nighthawk range with the top VDSL2 modem model costing £269.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User leew1988
(newbie) Tue 22-Dec-15 16:07:43
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In my case though would you say the Technicolour is better than the Sky Hub though?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 22-Dec-15 16:17:02
Print Post

802.11ac dual-band is something you want as standard these days, so the Sky Hub fails in that regard, but easily fixed by adding a wireless access point which can also be located on the end of an Ethernet cable in the optimum location for household coverage.

Sky Hubs tend to be switch on and forget about them devices, simple devices that rarely seem to crash. Just the single band 802.11n is a bit lacking in terms of fast wireless speeds.

Print Thread

Jump to