Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Joel_Hughes
(newbie) Sat 02-Jan-16 13:13:35
Print Post

Technicolor TG588 (don't mock ;)

[link to this post]

Hi guys,
as mentioned in an older post, we are with Utilities Warehouse on their FTTC service.

The kit is a BT Open Reach gateway which feeds into a Technicolor TG582

Many times the connection drops and we've got to re-boot both boxes to get back up and running. This is one of the reasons that I'm looking to consolidate down to one bit of kit.

I've spoken to UW and they are sending me a TG588 box. Now, from what I can tell, this is actually VDSL compatible so I'm hoping this means I can do away with the OR box.

http://www.bitkistl.com/2015/07/tg588v-vdsl-modem-us...

.am I mistaken?

ta

Joel

p.s. I realise there are other bits of kit I can shell out for; for now, I'd like to see if this works.
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 02-Jan-16 23:21:17
Print Post

Re: Technicolor TG588 (don't mock ;)

[re: Joel_Hughes] [link to this post]

You are correct, it seems like this is a VDSL modem/router, so you can take the BT modem out of the loop.

One word of warning, Technicolor products are pretty naff these days, I know a few people who have had them from different providers and none of them have been great, normally the wi-fi is awful.

Shame really as I had and still have but not in use a Thomson 585 ADSl router and it was one of the best ones I ever had.,

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 8 pro 64bit, no dreaded metro and Linux , laptop by Linux

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User Michael_Chare
(experienced) Sun 03-Jan-16 00:23:20
Print Post

[re: zyborg47] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by zyborg47:
Shame really as I had and still have but not in use a Thomson 585 ADSl router and it was one of the best ones I ever had.
I had a 585v7 which used to lock up. I was sent a replacement but that did the same, so I tried sticking an additional heat sink on the main chip. This did not solve the problem, but later a new version of the firmware came out which clearly contained a fix. I later changed to a 582n which supported 802.11n.

Michael Chare

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Joel_Hughes
(newbie) Sun 03-Jan-16 09:55:11
Print Post

[re: zyborg47] [link to this post]

Thanks Adrian

"normally the wi-fi is awful."
Yeah. I have a nightmare with WIFI recently; it used to be a lot better - no idea what has changed. You have a strong connection and it just drops suddenly. Well, you pay for what you get I suppose.
  Print Thread

Jump to