Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User joconnell
(experienced) Tue 05-Jan-16 22:32:53
Print Post

VDSL Router or VSDL Modem + cable router

[link to this post]

I'm upgrading to a faster wireless router and am wondering whether replacing it with an all-in-one VSDL router is a good idea rather than just continuing to use the already supplied BT Openreach modem with a new cable router?

I've read posts suggesting that FTTC doesn't like VDSL modem reboots which may be more likely/frequent with an VSDL router. What the consensus on this?
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Wed 06-Jan-16 08:41:00
Print Post

Re: VDSL Router or VSDL Modem + cable router

[re: joconnell] [link to this post]

Personal preference is separate modem and router

Yes, you are right, a combined unit is more likely to be rebooted more frequently than an independent modem so you will reduce the possibility of any line management issues.

You can also install the modem at point of entry (or close) and a single cable to where your router is located. Additionally, you have greater flexibility on router choice and functionality with two devices.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User Skilty
(member) Wed 06-Jan-16 11:19:30
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

My preference would be separate modem and router. My BT OR modem has been up for 26 days, my Asus router was rebooted last week. Means I can also work on the router without taking down the modem and I can situate each where it is convenient and best for WiFi.

plusnet Fibre > Sky Fibre Pro > Pulse8 Fibre XL - 14ms Ping, Sync ~ 65.78/18.73Mbps - BQM

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User joconnell
(experienced) Wed 06-Jan-16 20:54:49
Print Post

[re: Skilty] [link to this post]

My thanks to you and MHC for the info, yes it makes sense to keep modem and router separate.
Standard User caffn8me
(knowledge is power) Sat 09-Jan-16 14:07:29
Print Post

[re: joconnell] [link to this post]

I'm going to be a dissenting voice here.

BT will phase out the Openreach modem by the end of March this year [Source]. This suggests that there are now enough combined modem/router devices available which meet BT's requirements.

I have never used an Openreach modem and manage nine separate FTTC connections.

I prefer to have an all-in-one modem/router. It takes up less space, has less spaghetti and uses less electricity.

Sarah

--
If I can't drink my bowl of coffee three times daily, then in my torment, I will shrivel up like a piece of roast goat

Spiders on coffee - Badass spiders on drugs
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Sat 09-Jan-16 14:42:33
Print Post

[re: caffn8me] [link to this post]

Do you take account of G.INP?
Standard User TheEulerID
(committed) Sat 09-Jan-16 15:35:21
Print Post

[re: caffn8me] [link to this post]

I'm with you. For most domestic users a unified device is tidier, more convenient and cheaper to run. Separate devices are for those who like tinkering, which is fine, but I don't really see that it's the right solution of the great majority of domestic users who really want simplicity in their lives.
Standard User TheEulerID
(committed) Sat 09-Jan-16 15:36:34
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

What has g.inp got to do with it provided that the combined device supports the required functionality?
Standard User caffn8me
(knowledge is power) Sat 09-Jan-16 18:04:48
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by BatBoy:
Do you take account of G.INP?
I certainly do smile

.              DS Channel1	  DS Channel0	US Channel1	  US Channel0
Speed (kbps):	          0	       80000	         0	       19999
SRA Previous Speed:       0	           0	         0	           0
Previous Speed:	          0	           0	         0	           0
Reed-Solomon EC:          0	      140398	         0	       35802
CRC Errors:	        165	         165	      8456	        8456
Header Errors:	          0	           0	         0	           0
Interleave (ms):       3.00	        0.00	      0.00	        0.00

That's a Cisco 887VA-M which supports G.INP. With a firmware update it will also support vectoring. Sites not running Ciscos run Draytek 2860 and 2760 routers which also support G.INP with the latest firmware.

The Cisco is fullly tested and certified by BT for use on their GEA-FTTC service without an Openreach modem. The Draytek 2860 was listed as due for testing by BT as far back as April 2015 with no target entry date set. It hadn't passed testing by September 2015. I'm not sure what the current staus is. All I know is that the 2760s and 2860s I use work well. Juniper and Fritzbox models were also listed as due for testing.

The Zyxel VMG8324 and VMG8924 have passed the BT modem compatibility testing and the VMG8324 seems to offer better performance than the HG612 Openreach modem [Source].

The Huawei HG633 is also an approved device as is the Cisco C897VA and variants.

Conditionally approved devices are; Technicolor 589v3, TG598VAC and the Zyxel VMG1312.

Sarah

--
If I can't drink my bowl of coffee three times daily, then in my torment, I will shrivel up like a piece of roast goat

Standard User caffn8me
(knowledge is power) Sat 09-Jan-16 18:11:01
Print Post

[re: TheEulerID] [link to this post]

Devices which don't support G.INP will see a drop in performance when G.INP is enabled on their connection. I've seen this with Draytek 2850s. It's far better to have a device that supports G.INP.

Sarah

--

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to