Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User dsch
(member) Thu 07-Jan-16 20:04:09
Print Post

Problematic Router/Modem

[link to this post]

The ping latency on my connection has been all over the place recently with pages on the internet slow, hanging or refusing to load at all. My ISP ran tests today and after advising me to disconnect my computers and devices, both wired and wireless, for an hour, they reported data being uploaded and some traffic being downloaded. It was suggested that this might be the router/modem trying to automatically download firmware. I'm using a dinosaur, the Netgear DGN1000 (not sure what version), but I am wondering should I bother with downloading any firmware or just join the 21st century and upgrade to something newer?

In advance, thanks for any assistance.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 07-Jan-16 21:11:02
Print Post

Re: Problematic Router/Modem

[re: dsch] [link to this post]

Is it possible someone else is latching onto your wireless?

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 59997/15142kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User dsch
(member) Thu 07-Jan-16 23:29:28
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

First, thanks for taking the time to respond!

I wondered the same thing. Perhaps I am being naive, but I have a rather complex password, does that count for anything? Should I change the password? Wouldn't it make more sense that if someone hacked my router/modem they would use it for downloads and not uploads?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 08-Jan-16 00:29:50
Print Post

[re: dsch] [link to this post]

What if they a seed site for torrents? Or upload a lot of photos and videos - those have changed usage patters a lot, both cloud backups and YouTube.

High uploads will kill your download speeds as they leave no upstream bandwith for your system's ACKs and complex site browsing data requests.

You should be able to find what is connected to your wifi in your router GUI.

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 59997/15142kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User Skilty
(member) Fri 08-Jan-16 10:03:46
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Depending on the number of devices might be worth restricting my MAC address if possible?

In addition ensure you have a complex password for the router admin account...

plusnet Fibre > Sky Fibre Pro > Pulse8 Fibre XL - 14ms Ping, Sync ~ 65.78/18.73Mbps - BQM
  Print Thread

Jump to