Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User masrksp
(newbie) Sun 10-Jan-16 18:01:26
Print Post

Wireless Broadband advice Asus & Billion

[link to this post]

I'd very much like some informed opinions on a couple of router choices.

I run a small business and sometimes work from home and have just ordered superfast broadband VDSL2 (FTTC), upgrading from ADSL2.

I'm looking to replace my Billion BiPac 7800N rather than connect ewan to a separate VDSL2 modem which I will have to buy (my ISP Plusnet now provides self-install only, ie no modem).

I've considered using the Plusnet Hub One supplied (a rebadged Home Hub5) as a modem only. Whilst it's technically possible, it's time I don't want to spend and by all accounts the modem could be better.

My primary router requirements are;
- a rock-solid vdsl2 connection, supporting G.INP, with good performance
- good wireless performance and range (I live in a stone built house with very thick walls
- good wireless ac (I have clients which are ac ready)
- good Ip6 implementation

It'd be useful to be able to get line stats as I've had a number of issues using voip on this line (which now seem to be solved thanks to data monitoring on my line from my voip provider). In summary the ping times were very variable anywhere between 30ms up to 400ms. Smokeping highlighted this and focus plusnet into delivering solution. I'm aware I still get ping times up at 400ms in the early hours of the morning for some reason but this isn't a problem for me. Download speeds are consistently in the region of 17mbps.

A router with a good user interface and setup would be handy, but not a prime consideration as I'm reasonably network savvy (at least for IPv4).

I'm considering the following;
Billion BiPAC 8900AX-1600 R2
ASUS dsl ac68U

The Billion 8900 hasn't been released in the Uk but is supposedly imminent. It's the successor to the BiPAC 8800AXL which has been discontinued. The 8900 supposedly addresses the poor wifi performance/range of the 8800 and I assume it will have the same broadcom vdsl2 chipset.

My broadband goes live on the 20th Jan so my router decision may be made for me by virtue of router availability!

Any advice appreciated.

Many thanks
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 10-Jan-16 18:40:22
Print Post

Re: Wireless Broadband advice Asus & Billion

[re: masrksp] [link to this post]

A few points of information.

The Plusnet Hub One doesn't support G.INP anyway.

AIUI G.INP on ECI cabinets is only supported for downstream as opposed to both ways on Huawei. Do you know which you are on?

Good wireless in your building may be best achieved using one or more WAPS, possibly connected to the router by HomePlugs. Some HomePlugs also have built-in WAP.

Assuming you mean IPv6, Plusnet have a trial for that which is usually full. While I was on that trial there were also problems with some gateways not supporting it, and you could easily end up on one. I don't know if that has been fixed, but it was quite difficult to get back onto one that worked.

They are also starting to roll out a new network which is not IPv6 enabled, with no published plans or timescale.

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 59997/15142kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User baby_frogmella
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 10-Jan-16 19:42:01
Print Post

Re: Wireless Broadband advice Asus & Billion

[re: masrksp] [link to this post]

If money is no object then go for the Netgear D7800, arguably the best all in one VDSL2 router out there currently:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/D7800-100UKS-Nighthawk-Wirel...

If you want something a bit cheaper then the TP Link VR900 is your best bet for £125
http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-LINK-Archer-VR900-Beamfor...

°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°
TalkTalk Business Fibre 79999/20000 kbps