Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User doharrow
(newbie) Tue 09-Feb-16 21:02:18
Print Post

Setup static host in DNS on thomson tg589vn

[link to this post]

Hi

I've just been moved back onto O2 FTTC business broadband (from Sky). I was using a Billion Bipac 7800N, but found that I get much better WiFi performance with the O2 router (a thomson tg589vn v3), so I've switched to using that.

This seems to be working really well and doing most things that the 7800N did, but I can't figure out one thing.

On the 7800N I could setup a static DNS entry for some of the devices on my network - e.g. server = 192.168.1.200. This would then enable the other devices on my network to address that device by name rather than IP address.

I can't seem to find a way to do the same on the Thomson. Is there a way (either through the gui or command line)?

(I could use host files, but that get's quickly messy - especially on ipods/iphones/etc)

thanks
Standard User dandnsmith
(experienced) Wed 10-Feb-16 09:04:19
Print Post

Re: Setup static host in DNS on thomson tg589vn

[re: doharrow] [link to this post]

I have the same model.
I managed to set some IP addresses for some systems which I wanted fixed, linked to MACs.
Contrary to my expections, these addresses did not get applied when I used DHCP with those systems.
If you have the same software version, it is terrible (in my opinion).
Initially, I had to make some changes, which were for other features I wanted, by adjusting a configuration file (save coniguration, edit the saved, text, file, restore from it, and reboot)
HTH

Derek
Standard User doharrow
(newbie) Thu 11-Feb-16 14:14:01
Print Post

Re: Setup static host in DNS on thomson tg589vn

[re: dandnsmith] [link to this post]

Having done some research, I think I can do this by ensuring that the DNS server on the router is setup for my personal domain and then adding a host - something like:

dns server config domain=me.com
dns server host add name=servername addr=192.168.1.1
saveall

Then I should be able to do things like nslookup servername.me.com both internally and externally and be able to route correctly.

I'll test this tonight when I get home.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread

Jump to