Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User planetf1
(experienced) Thu 24-Mar-16 10:22:06
Print Post

BT HomeHub 5 model A vs model B

[link to this post]

I've having some wifi challenges with the BT HH 5 Mod.a. Out of interest does the Mod.b tend to be better? [I'm seperately looking into purchasing a "proper" router ;-) ]
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Fri 25-Mar-16 09:11:58
Print Post

Re: BT HomeHub 5 model A vs model B

[re: planetf1] [link to this post]

I just disconnected my Type B as it's unstable.

What wireless problems are you having?
Standard User planetf1
(experienced) Sun 03-Apr-16 17:42:36
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Sigh... I've been having issues with my Mod.A both at home and mum's. Additionally visitors have struggled with my wifi too.

I was hoping I might be able to get the latest Mod.A software update (still waiting) or try a Mod B (but they shopped a HH4.. though have called me back to discuss) but tbh I think I'm getting past the pain point of just getting on and trying an alternative router - currently awaiting a TP-Link Archer VR900 which seemed a good balance of capability/price

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Sun 03-Apr-16 19:36:56
Print Post

What issues are you having? I have HH5 Type A with approximately 20 to 30 wireless devices connected at any time, it's working well.

Nothing connects over ethernet.

I have had issues but changing settings resolved them for me, maybe I can help if you give more info.

Range of the HH5 is far better than a two year old £120 (at the time) netgear router I own.

I have firmware version 4.7.5.1.83.8.204.1.11

Edited by ukhardy07 (Sun 03-Apr-16 19:39:06)

Standard User planetf1
(experienced) Mon 04-Apr-16 07:19:10
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

Hi. Thanks for offering smile

My main problems are:
* the 2.4 Ghz network disappears ie a network scan will no longer show it. This *may* have been addressed by splitting the 2.4/5Ghz networks - though in doing so it affects client roaming behaviour so I switched clients to 5 Ghz only. The fact there's no clients connected may just hide the issue. Only a reboot fixes. I have also tried limiting 2.4 to 150 Mbps but this makes no difference
* Even with a full signal, clients connected to 5 Ghz (it seems more likely) will on occasion just stop working until disconnected/connected
* I've seen this behaviour at 2 locations running a HH5a with that firmware
* I see this with multiple devices including those of friends visiting
* A full reset hasn't helped.

I'm going to discuss with BT some more. I have also got a TP-Link VR900 arriving this week from amazon - 30 day return. More than likely I'll keep it if the issue does not then occur
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Mon 04-Apr-16 07:41:26
Print Post

The fix for the disappearing channel is to set the wifi to a known channel rather than leaving it on smart wireless. You should do a wifi survey to find the best channel.
Standard User planetf1
(experienced) Mon 04-Apr-16 09:07:59
Print Post

Ah of course, yes I did try that too - in fact I used manual setting for a long time, only putting back to auto when trying to debug the issue smile

It IS a busy 2.4 Ghz network here, I'm at the top of an estate/small town, estate, so pick up rather a few SSIDs (though many routers now advertise multiple of course).

I have 2 further actions underway
a) followup my issues with BT (see if I can get HH5b to try, and/or sw update for HH5a)
b) The tp-link archer VR900. Didn't really want to spend an extra £100 but seems the best combo of decent vdsl2 model+wifi, without the AC2600 premium (£200) or smaller cost savings (no beamforming etc).
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Mon 04-Apr-16 09:17:51
Print Post

Have you tried front-ending the HH5A with a Huawei HG612 modem? That takes the load off the HH5A so it can concentrate on routing and wifi.
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Mon 04-Apr-16 11:21:16
Print Post

My main problems are:
* the 2.4 Ghz network disappears ie a network scan will no longer show it. This *may* have been addressed by splitting the 2.4/5Ghz networks - though in doing so it affects client roaming behaviour so I switched clients to 5 Ghz only. The fact there's no clients connected may just hide the issue. Only a reboot fixes. I have also tried limiting 2.4 to 150 Mbps but this makes no difference

Which firmware version? I do not see this, never have. Smart wireless or not... I have 26 WiFi networks detected by Inssider where I live (London), and I have a new build block of flats next door so I get tonnes of networks in my area. This behaviour is not normal.

* Even with a full signal, clients connected to 5 Ghz (it seems more likely) will on occasion just stop working until disconnected/connected

Try using channel 100, fixed channel. This can output more power on 5Ghz. Again this behaviour is not normal though.

* I've seen this behaviour at 2 locations running a HH5a with that firmware

I have HH5A in 2 locations, mine does not exhibit this behaviour. I keep them on 24/7.

* I see this with multiple devices including those of friends visiting

I have a minimum of 10 devices connected often up to 30 devices online, that is work phones, personal phones, 3 Sky boxes, multiple consoles, printers, apple tvs etc.

Overall sounds like a faulty router, or you are stuck on very old firmware. Worth noting the HH5A only seems to get firmware updates when no settings are changed, else mine does not update. When I get the device, I don't touch any settings for the first 2 weeks, not even the SSID. It then updates to latest firmware, I then make the changes.

Can you confirm the firmware version, although I must stress this is not normal behaviour and is not representative of the HH5A. I would push BT for a replacement.

Things to try, and how my setup is.
2.4Ghz network, fixed to channel 1, 6 or 11.
5Ghz network fixed to channel 100.
Smart wireless disabled.
UPNP Extended security disabled (causes issues)
Smart Setup Disabled.

If you still have issues with the above you have a faulty device.

I use the HH5A as a modem and router in one, works fine under very heavy load. I would be losing my mind with those issues described. I'm almost certain it's faulty the device given my experiences are nothing like this.

EDIT: If all you are trying to get to, is a device which lets users connect, without drop outs regularly and nothing super fancy ie QOS, then the HH5 should be fine and you should not need to buy your own router.

Edited by ukhardy07 (Mon 04-Apr-16 11:44:41)

Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Mon 04-Apr-16 11:46:28
Print Post

That should not be necessary... From the sounds of it the user does not want anything fancy, just a wifi network which lets them connect. The HH5A should do this just fine in standard mode... It does sound like a faulty device given it affects both 5ghz and 2.4 ghz bands.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to