Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User meditator
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 01-Apr-16 13:44:56
Print Post

Anyone hearing HF noise on their Billion 8800NL, VDSL?

[link to this post]

This is a question aimed specifically at users of the Billion 8800NL VDSL/ADSL2 modem-router.

When used on a fibre connection, ie. in VDSL mode, do you hear a high-frequency tone permanently coming from the device?

Maybe your first thought is No. But hang on, is the immediate environment of your 8800NL a noisy one, anyway, with perhaps TV or radio blaring away, or other family members making a din? Would you necessarily hear an audio tone if it were there? Before really answering with a firm No, therefore, ensure that there's reasonable quietude in the room where the 8800's sited and then open your browser and visit some websites. While doing that, listen for a constant tone of around 5Khz - 10KHz. Maybe even put your ear up close to the 8800. (And no, given today's date, this isn't an April Fool's joke). Hear anything coming from the 8800 itself? This concerns VDSL mode only, BTW.

Recently, on the UK Billion forums there's been a report saying that, in VDSL mode, the 8800NL produces an audible and very irritating high-frequency noise. The person concerned reckons it's a tone of about 8KHz. The question has been asked in those forums therefore as to whether other Billion 8800 users are also experiencing this noise. The reporter of it says he's bought a second 8800 (from the same supplier), only to find that it too emits this noise in VDSL mode.

I myself currently use an 8800NL, but in ADSL mode. I've been thinking of possibly upgrading to FTTC and therefore VDSL working, but any prospect of the device emitting such a sound would certainly put me off such an upgrade, as I'm especially sensitive to things like that.

This could, of course, be a case of electro-mechanical resonance within the 8800 itself, perhaps developed in a bad batch, but unless the reporter's been unlucky twice over, this doesn't seem to be the case.

As yet, nobody other than the administrator of that site has confirmed whether this noise comes with the 8800 or not and therefore this is just an isolated case (or two). What I myself am wondering is whether this might perhaps be a more general resonance problem, one that's present at various levels of audibility in all current consumer-grade VDSL modems and modem-routers.
Standard User Oldjim
(knowledge is power) Fri 01-Apr-16 13:48:16
Print Post

Re: Anyone hearing HF noise on their Billion 8800NL, VDSL?

[re: meditator] [link to this post]

8800NL on VDSL - no noise at all
Standard User systemx
(experienced) Fri 01-Apr-16 14:01:38
Print Post

More than likely it's the plug-in power supply.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User meditator
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 01-Apr-16 14:15:00
Print Post

[re: systemx] [link to this post]

Systemx,

Yes I too thought that a possibility and even asked the individual if he'd used the self same brick power-supply unit when he acquired the second 8800. He's stated that he used the same power-supply brick but is adamant that the noise is coming from the 8800 itself, not the power supply. (He's now kept with the original power supply, to avoid having to 'take the 8800 down').

He bought the second 8800 from the same source, apparently, and he concedes that this might be a case of a manufacturing fault in an isolated batch. Worrying for the rest of us, though. I mean, once you've signed up for, and got, VDSL connectivity, you can't go back to ADSL - at least, not in the short term.

I myself use desktop machines and sit virtually on top of the 8800, so I'd definitely hear any such noise if it were going to happen - and it'd drive me nuts! Mine's absolutely silent in ADSL mode, though.

Edited by meditator (Fri 01-Apr-16 14:20:13)

Standard User systemx
(experienced) Fri 01-Apr-16 14:21:07
Print Post

I use this router on VSDL and it is silent. I normally have wireless disabled but just to try I enabled it, still silent
Standard User meditator
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 01-Apr-16 14:26:32
Print Post

Thanks. That's encouraging news.
Standard User systemx
(experienced) Fri 01-Apr-16 15:14:41
Print Post

I can't see it being the router itself, it does not draw enough juice to kick up a row, but I have had a similar problem with a power brick, opening it up and a blob of hot glue solved it
Standard User Oldjim
(knowledge is power) Fri 01-Apr-16 15:22:15
Print Post

There were reports of a high pitched noise from some of the early Plusnet Routers (they were replaced free if reported) so I wouldn't assume that it is impossible
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,1145...

Edited by Oldjim (Fri 01-Apr-16 15:25:35)

Standard User b4dger
(knowledge is power) Fri 01-Apr-16 17:46:31
Print Post

In reply to a post by meditator:
...While doing that, listen for a constant tone of around 5Khz - 10KHz.
Can you explain how I would go about that???

Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Fri 01-Apr-16 17:51:05
Print Post

[re: b4dger] [link to this post]

You could get an app for PC or phone to listen for you e.g http://www.hitsquad.com/smm/freeware/SPECTRUM_ANALYZ...
https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/spectrum-analyzer-re...
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to