Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User jimgb17
(learned) Tue 03-May-16 19:24:11
Print Post

New modem Recommendation

[link to this post]

Hi all i am on ECI cab and looking for a new modem/router
Cash is no object!

What is best router to have What i need is

A setting to allow forward an external ip address to my server.

Like a ip address whitest also good fast wifi ac will also bee needed/

I was looking at the FRITZ!Box 7490 router but don't know as it doesn't have antennas.
Was also looking as the asuse routers best don't know know if its got the firewall settings i need for allowing external ip addresses access to my server.

Any recommendation? It can be PPPOE router or a vdsl router as i have a billion to act as a modem if need be but i would prefer a paired modem for my ECI

I am on a ECI cab so would like to get a modem that works best with my cab.

Anyone know if the FRITZ!Box 7490 has the settings i need?

Jimgb17

Edited by jimgb17 (Tue 03-May-16 20:41:12)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 03-May-16 19:31:21
Print Post

Re: New modem Reconeation

[re: jimgb17] [link to this post]

By POE do you mean a bridging modem i.e. PPPoE or do you mean Power Over Ethernet?

The question is do you need the router to do NAT for some machines, and forward the external IP to your service too? One presumes you have a block of static IP addresses for this, though simple port forwarding is sufficient for many server applications.

If spending around £200 on a router, unless it has a 'replace due to death by lightning' warranty then I'd favour a sacrificial VDSL2 modem placed in front of it. This also widens your range of routers to choose from and could go all the way up to £400 for the best WiFi ones.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User jimgb17
(learned) Tue 03-May-16 19:35:44
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Yes PPPOE sorry Not POE lol
been installing CCTV cameras so had POE in my head!

I edited the Post thanks for the heads up..Made me feel like a Diddy!!!!

Jimgb17

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User jimgb17
(learned) Tue 03-May-16 19:45:32
Print Post

All i need is a way to allow some external addresses to access my voip/cctv server.

i have a billion 8800axl that can be used as a Modem via PPPOE so i could go that way
The reason i have been thinking of a new Modem is that the bilion has some UAS/and some other errors and thinking that getting a new modem with a chipset that works better on ECI cabs may give be a better connection....

Jimgb17
Standard User baby_frogmella
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 03-May-16 20:08:16
Print Post

If money is not an object then go for the arguably the best vdsl modem/router around - the Netgear D7800. It uses the latest Lantiq vdsl chipset (so ideal for those on ECI cabs) and uses blazing fast 4x4 stream Mu-Mimo wifi.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B01560JKAE/ref=mp_s...

°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°
Thank you BDUK for bringing FTTC to the Scottish Highlands
TalkTalk Business 80/20
My Broadband Quality Monitor
°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°

Edited by baby_frogmella (Tue 03-May-16 20:09:35)

Standard User jimgb17
(learned) Tue 03-May-16 20:40:00
Print Post

[re: baby_frogmella] [link to this post]

will look into that

Had a r8000 model but had a bug on the wifi that caused the speed to drop until cliants could no longer connect. took it back to currys for a refund
It also didn't allow me to forward external ip address like what i need.

Jimgb17
Standard User jimgb17
(learned) Tue 03-May-16 21:32:06
Print Post

Think i am going for the ASUS RT-AC3200
I like the UI and may be changing to cable at some point so will same me getting new router,

Thanks all for the Help i will keep you all updated!

Edit:

Drat Looks like this one is out looking at the demo it doant allow me to do what i want!

Jimgb17

Edited by jimgb17 (Tue 03-May-16 21:56:14)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 03-May-16 23:47:02
Print Post

Forwarding your sole external IP while also doing NAT on the same IP is a pretty odd requirement.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User jimgb17
(learned) Wed 04-May-16 02:47:29
Print Post

@MrSaffron

What i want be able to do is allow only some people access to my server.
that's what i men't by external ip. not my own ip but users on the internet.
Sorry if you miss understood...

I have a cctv server and a voip/asterisk server i would like to lock then down and only allow access to only some ip's i am not sure what routers allow this so i am looking for some information from anyone who maybe knows..

my old billion 7800n allowed this via packet filters my currant router the 8800axl only allows this for inbound connections....

I have found the billion 8900ax-2400 i may go for that one ....unless someone can recomend something better

Jimgb17

Edited by jimgb17 (Wed 04-May-16 02:53:07)

Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 04-May-16 07:34:26
Print Post

If you only have one public IP then what you need to do is forward specific ports to the device - so assuming it has a web interface you might forward just port 80 and port 443 - it also makes it much more secure as if there are any vulnerabilities in the OS of the device then the ports being closed would significantly reduce the risk. It should only be necessary to do it for inbound connections - unless you want to actually restrict the device from doing outbound connections?
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to