Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User TrishaH
(knowledge is power) Thu 05-May-16 14:17:11
Print Post

Billion 7800NXL wireless channels

[link to this post]

When I found I could no longer get the 7800n, I decided to try the 7800NXL, and it arrived last Sunday, easy to set up, and works very well.

But, we found that only some wireless items were picked up, others not.
Today, looking through the advanced wireless settings, I noticed the channel setting. It was on 6, and in brackets next to it was '(interference - high)'

I don't know much about wireless settings and channels, but did recall something about channel 11, so set it on that, and now get: '(interference - acceptable)' - our son was here at the time, and both his iPhone and iPad connected as it had done previously with the old router.

I remembered that I took screenshots of the settings on the first 7800n I had, so think the last one will have been the same - that one was set at: 'Channel 1 (2.2412GHz)' It never faltered.

On this new 7800NXL, there is no option for channel 1, but there is an 'auto' setting - just wondering if I should leave it on 11 or try auto perhaps?

Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 05-May-16 16:14:25
Print Post

Re: Billion 7800NXL wireless channels

[re: TrishaH] [link to this post]

What channel options are you getting? You should be getting at least 1 - 11 if not 1 - 13. Also, check that it is set for UK settings (usually there is an option somewhere in the wireless to set the region and that should impact what channels are available as different channels are available in different geographic areas).
Standard User TrishaH
(knowledge is power) Thu 05-May-16 17:30:30
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

Hi Ian - I get 5-11 and auto as options.

It is set at UK.
Seems reasonably OK for now on channel 11.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 06-May-16 13:18:19
Print Post

I have the 8800AXL and just having a play.

If I set the option "Control Sideband" to "Upper" then I lose the first 4 channels - set it to lower and they come back. And if bandwidth is set to 20/40 rather than 20 then I lose some of the upper channels.

So, if you want to try channel 1 change control sideband to lower...
Standard User TrishaH
(knowledge is power) Fri 06-May-16 13:24:32
Print Post

Ah! - I would never have known nor thought to try those!
Mine is indeed set to 'upper' (and 20/40), so I'll try changing the Control Sideband function.

Thanks! - I'll see how thing go smile

Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 06-May-16 13:34:54
Print Post

I have an inquisitive mind so as it was an item that I didn't recognise I decided to have a play - not something I had noticed before in the wireless settings.
Standard User TrishaH
(knowledge is power) Fri 06-May-16 14:02:48
Print Post

I like to understand things as much as I can, but hate to tinker with 'stuff' in case I mess it up laugh

...always something new to learn.

Trying to chase down the source of interference right now ...Zen asked me to get an analogue radio, set it a 612 MW, and phone them - seems we're going to mooch around the house looking for noise ....feels a bit like Ghostbusters!

Standard User MHC
(sensei) Fri 06-May-16 14:13:33
Print Post

Are they talking about interference on your DSL line or interference with the WiFi?

If the latter - they are talking total ********. How will a radio tuned to 612 kHz find a low power source of interference at 2.4GHz?

And the "interference" may not actually be interference ... it is quite likely to be a neighbours WiFi on the same channel.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User TrishaH
(knowledge is power) Fri 06-May-16 14:24:14
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

It's the DSL (wired connection to desktop) ...been dropping daily since March, so this past week been trying various things including no phone connected, DSL in the test socket, then both in the test socket - and they re-set something at their end two days ago.

Two days with both in the test socket is much better, but obviously cannot stay like that.
Basically trying to find out if something in the house has a fault causing interference.
If not, it'll be something else, perhaps in a neighbours house.

The Wireless issue is a new router that nothing was connecting to, and finding everyone's phone etc. worked properly after I changed to channel 11 (was perfect on the old 7800n on channel 1) - now I know how to get channel 1, I'll try it soon.

Standard User MHC
(sensei) Fri 06-May-16 14:32:00
Print Post

OK ... just that the thread started by talking about WiFi channels and then the suggestion to use a radio at 612kHz to find an interference source.

However, you may not find it, especially if it is up in te higher frequencies.

Use DSLStats and get a bit loading graph - then look for a large notch (or dip). That will show where it is hitting and then you can get the centre frequency of any interference and tune the radio close to that.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to