Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User London_Lad
(newbie) Thu 19-May-16 16:00:12
Print Post

Modem / router recomendation

[link to this post]

Hi All,

I have quite a large network at my home / office supporting all the usual stuff plus CCTV, audio distribution, VOIP, and a number of workstations and printers. The network includes 4 switches and and 5 clustered WAPs

I live out in the sticks and ADSL2+ via BT is the best I can get and provides about 9.5meg despite my very long line. I am currently using a Billion 8800NL with the Wi-Fi switched off as it seems to manage to sync faster than anything else I have tried and hangs onto the long line 24/7. However I suspect I am pushing the Billion's switch, router and firewall beyond its comfort zone with the amount of traffic it is having to deal with especially on the LAN side.

Can anyone recommend a semi commercial modem / switch / router with good long line performance, relatively straight forward set-up but most importantly, robust and powerful router and switch sections?

I don't need Wi-Fi but accept that I may have to just turn it off as most better routers seem to include it. I am also not adverse to splitting the modem away from a separate router / firewall.

Thanks in anticipation.
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 19-May-16 16:04:55
Print Post

Re: Modem / router recomendation

[re: London_Lad] [link to this post]

The router only has to handle a maximum of the line speed so should be fine.

If you want to take the LAN traffic load off then the cheapest way to do it would be to buy a standard gigabit switch, plug all of the devices into the switch and have one lead from switch to router - the only traffic the router then has to deal with is WAN, DNS and DHCP.
Standard User London_Lad
(newbie) Thu 19-May-16 16:09:55
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

Hi Ian,

That is the current setup, Billion > 48 port switch > 24 port switch > 12 port switch.
Only one Ethernet cable from the Billion.

Am I wrong in thinking that the Billion is still doing all the LAN 'routing' ?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 19-May-16 16:31:58
Print Post

The switches should be doing all the internal packet switching if they are proper switch devices. You should find if you transfer a file between 2 devices that the LAN light on the router should not activate as it should not see any of the traffic.
Standard User London_Lad
(newbie) Thu 19-May-16 16:45:29
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

Great thank you Ian. I'll test it out this evening. its certainly a proper switch!

Thanks for the lesson, I'll have to look elsewhere for bottlenecks!
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Thu 19-May-16 23:52:31
Print Post

One improvement I could suggest, if equipment locations permit, would be to connect the 12 port switch straight to the 48 rather than via the 24.

I run a Modem, which connects direct to the router, the router then feeds a single link to a 24 port managed switch which itself is connected to 3 WAPs which also have 4 port switch capability too. The router works fine - just handing traffic to and from te outside world and providing teh DHCP server capability.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
  Print Thread

Jump to