Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Fido
(committed) Thu 23-Jun-16 13:59:49
Print Post

Using the BT Homehub 5 as a moden

[link to this post]

Hi,

I know that a few people are using the old Openreach Modems at the front end and they then let their own router do the rest but I do not have the old Openreach Modem anymore and I cannot see the point in getting one. - I do have a BT Home Hub 5, (type 5A), to hand and the modem part of BT Home Hub 5 seemed reasonable but its router part especially the wireless router performance stank.

I am on BT Infinity 2 and I usually use an Asus DSL-AC68U, (which is a really good router), as both a modem and as a router for both Ethernet and wireless but since I have been having a few issues with my home phone line due to aluminium in the line and since when the Openreach Engineers call to test for the fault they tend to moan that I am not using the supplied BT equipment I decided to try the BT Home Hub 5 at the front end and just use it as just a modem.

I had planned to just the BT Home Hub 5 use as a just modem but it did not fully work out as hoped and I ended up just turning off the wireless on the Home Hub 5 and connecting the Asus DSL-AC68U to the Home Hub 5, (after switching off DHCP on the Asus DSL-AC68U), and effectively using then using the Asus DSL-AC68U as a wireless switch and allowing the Home Hub 5 to be the DCHP Server which appears to work OK.

The only issue appears to be that the Asus DSL-AC68U appears to be unable to check if its own firmware is the latest version and it gives the following message when the Firmware Version Check Box is clicked;

<I> "The router cannot connect to ASUS server to check for the firmware update. After reconnecting to the Internet, go back to this page and click Check to check for the latest firmware updates. " </I>

I tried turning off DCHP on the Home Hub 5 and turning it back in on the Asus DSL-AC68U and I also tried using DCHP on both and splitting the IP pool start/finish address between both routers but when using that system I could not recognise some of the devices that appeared on the home network, (one of which was ID'd as "Private" so I quickly change back to using the BT Home Hub 5 as the only DCHP sever. - (Also when splitting the IP pool addresses between the routers and when switching off DCHP on the Home Hub 5 the Asus DSL-AC68U still could not check for its firmware updates).

Can the Home Hub 5 be used as just a modem ?

is there any advantage in using an Openreach Modem at the front end instead of the BT Home Hub 5 and would an Openreach Modem keep up with the advances that are planned for the BT system?

Fido

BT Infinity
Standard User ian007jen
(committed) Thu 23-Jun-16 17:24:54
Print Post

Re: Using the BT Homehub 5 as a moden

[re: Fido] [link to this post]

Can the Home Hub 5 be used as just a modem ?

No.

(Actually a bt business hub 5 can be)

Can the Asus be configured in access point mode? As without this mode the asus is looking for an internet connection on its WAN port

Ian
  Print Thread

Jump to